No wireless

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

No wireless

Postby keithclark on Sun May 31, 2009 1:10 am

I see that Gloria offers no wireless. Strange as Ubuntu 9.04 does with no issues. Anyways...I have no idea how to find my card information, or nor do I want to. Ubuntu oringinal works. Thanks. Carry on.............
keithclark
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: No wireless

Postby lanrun on Sun May 31, 2009 7:21 am

I have Mint 7 main edition on my EeePC 901,and am wireless as I write this reply.
Could you describe your problem a bit more specific?
lanrun
Level 3
Level 3

Postby keithclark on Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:03 pm

Yes, no BCM 43XX driver by default. Ah well. Good attempt.

Keith
keithclark
Level 1
Level 1

Postby keithclark on Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:42 pm

I hooked up to a wireless connection and installed what was required. Still no luck. It does not see wireless connections. ubuntu does.

Also, from the www.linuxmint.com website, the community, the irc link does not work. it just brings up mysql error messages.

Not good first impressions.

Keith
keithclark
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rovingsign on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:46 am

I just did my first Mint7 install last night...

To get wireless working - I had to connect via ethernet cable, which instantly prompted me to download/activate a Restricted Broadcom driver...

reboot. make sure "enable wireless" is checked. I forget the exact series of steps from there - "Find wireless networks" or some such language.

But - point is, mine didnt work out of the box either, but the fix seemed simple. Could be a problem if you have no hardwire connection.
rovingsign
Level 1
Level 1

Postby oakhilltop on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:44 am

I have a similar problem with the Mint 7 livecd and a Broadcom BCM43xx driver. I opened the control center and selected hardware drivers and tried to activate the BCM driver. It fails with a message saying that jockey backend crashed. I have my laptop connected with a wired connection, until I can get the wireless to work.

Is there a fix for this?
oakhilltop
Level 2
Level 2

Postby mysdem on Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:50 am

don't know if you fixed it yet but don't give up on it... I had Mint 6 with same probs but switching to Mint Seven the problem went away.. I fixed it in Mint 6 using drivers different using ndis wrapper and the drivers from xp not vista. Not needed in Mint 7 it worked out of the box after complete format etc. Mint Distro is worth the effort to sort out your driver issue and anyway its Fun!
mysdem
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Pierre on Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:02 am

The 1st time that I configured my WiFi, it offered to use the propitiatory drivers, i declined, & it didn't work.
since I hadn't done much, I re-installed the whole thing, & this time downloaded the propitiatory drivers.

Then it worked ok.
thats laptop's for you.
:)
Pierre
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot