dual boot installation

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

dual boot installation

Postby tannenbaum on Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:24 am

Hi, on my laptop I used dual boot (ubuntu 8.10 & vista). Now I want to swap ubuntu for mint. How can I do that? When I start the installation process there is no option for that. I don't know much about linux and partitions, so I need to know how to modify the partition table (if this is really necessary). I also thought about just formating the ext3-partition, but I'm afraid of deleting the bootmanager (I still need vista for a few tasks). If somebody have an idea what to do, please let me know.
Greetings,
tannenbaum
tannenbaum
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: dual boot installation

Postby emorrp1 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:32 am

Ok, so the solution is easy enough. This sort of thing has to be done using the "manual" option, but don't be frightened. You just need to select the existing ext3 partition, click "Edit Partition", use as ext3, format (As you mentioned), and mount as / (it's one of the drop down options).

As for the boot-loader, which boot loader do you want. Continuing with the normal mint installation should install mint's pretty boot-loader, and add an entry on it for your vista install. If you want to keep the vista boot loader, you need to click "Advanced" on the last page of the install process, and install bootloader into the right partition, but then you're on your own trying to configure vista to recognise your linux install.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Installation & Boot