Totally blank screen at startup

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bogeyman

Totally blank screen at startup

Post by Bogeyman »

Hardware: HP Pavilion a1650y Desktop, Pentium D 2.8Hz, 1GBH memory, HP display vs17 flat panel, video card ATI Radeon Xpress 200 series, driver ATI2MTAG.SYS, XP SP3 dual boot with Mint 7 installed moments ago.

The system will not load. I can input my user name and password at the login screen but as soon as I hit <enter> the screen goes blank and stays that way. My only recourse it to turn the box off with the power button, which I hate to do! I have run Mint 7 from the live CD several times before I ran the install with no problems. I can boot back into XP from the Mint splash screen just fine. The one unusual thing I encountered was a message that says :"Signal out of range change settings to 1280x1024." This the native resolution for this display and I have to my knowledge done nothing to change it. In fact the monitor control panel shows that very setting.

I hope that someone can get me back on track.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
markcynt

Re: Totally blank screen at startup

Post by markcynt »

Bogeyman

Re: Totally blank screen at startup

Post by Bogeyman »

I tried it and it did nothing. I could not understand the logic behind the editing he suggested using the CD. All that it did was load the trial system from the CD like it normally would using either the normal mode or the compatability mode. Making the edit he suggested changes nothing. It loads from the CD and everything is fine, just as it was before I fully installed Mint to dual boot with XP. Booting off of the drive presents no option for compatibility mode. Any other suggestions?

Return to “Installation & Boot”