desktop install problems

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

desktop install problems

Postby lcnielsen on Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:35 pm

I am trying to install Mint 7 on an older desktop: FIC Mainboard AD11, Athlon 1800+. 2 gig corsair, Western Digital 250 IDE. This machine started out in 1999 as my son's gamer with XP Pro. I have had Fedora 10 running on it flawlessly for 6 months. I very much want to try Mint 7. Whenever I do anything other than test the installation disk or the memory (which both test ok) it crashes. I have done three downloads of the Main Edition and one of the Universal Edition. The Main Edition results are always the same. I can get the farthest in compatibility mode but then it cycles the sign in window even though there is no user name or password installed. This computer does not recognize the Universal Edition as a system disk.
I like Fedora a lot. I hardly use my XP box anymore. I like the fact that Mint includes codec packages and other features which I have had to hunt down in the past and would therefore appreciate help in allowing me to try it.
lcnielsen
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: desktop install problems

Postby jaspmatt on Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:30 pm

Don't know. Does the live CD run OK on the computer?
"The Second Amendment isn't about protecting ourselves against criminals. It's about all of us protecting ourselves from all of you." ---Dr. Suzanne Gratia Hupp to Congressman Charles Schumer (D-NY)
jaspmatt
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Installation & Boot