cannot boot live CD on brand new box

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vajra
Level 1
Level 1

cannot boot live CD on brand new box

Post by vajra »

Just bought a new compu & when I try to boot the live CD I just get a line of color across the screen as if there is a prob with the video card. I never get as far as any menu or anything.

I am using the very same CD on another compu right now & I did the checksums etc, so the CD is not at fault.

I can boot the new box with puppy linux 4.2.1 & xubuntu 8.04 with no difficulty. So there is no hardware problem.

I am using mint 7 gloria, but I have the same problem with an earlier version using a CD that I have used to install with no probs on another box recently.

Is this an incompatibility between Mint & my hardware? The graphics card is gigabyte nvidia geforce 8400

I can't find any reference to this on the web.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: cannot boot live CD on brand new box

Post by Aging Technogeek »

What is the make and model of your computer? Also, how much ram is installed?

I have a Hewlett=Packard dv9500T with an NVidia 8400 graphics card and have never had any trouble installing any version of Mint.
vajra
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vajra »

Aging Technogeek wrote:What is the make and model of your computer? Also, how much ram is installed?
It's a locally-built PC with intel dual core 2duo processor, asus p5kpl-am motherboard, atapi CD-rom. 4G of RAM, HD 500G.

Don't think it is the video card now... if I just wait, nothing happens, it doesn't proceed with the boot, if it was a video issue it would surely carry on booting.

Maybe it is a bios issue? What else could prevent the CD (confirmed ok) from booting properly & just give a line on the monitor?
vajra
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vajra »

Just tried one more thing... hitting F6 during boot which sounds like it is supposed to trigger compatibility mode. Still dead.

Looks like either there is a solution changing something in the bios or it is impossible to boot mint on this machine.

Shame cos I liked it when i installed on a friend's laptop.
vajra
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vajra »

ok i give up... going to install another distro
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Some machines just will not cooperate. I've had the same problem more than once. You want to install an OS and the computer refuses to take it and you cannot find a reason or a fix. You are probably better off trying another distro. Good luck in your attempt.

Return to “Installation & Boot”