Can I move a dual boot within windows to a new hard drive?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Can I move a dual boot within windows to a new hard drive?

Postby thinnmann on Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:01 pm

New hand-me down computer at work running winXP Pro. Had my old one running dual boot XP/Mint "within windows" set up. New computer has the old hard drive in it as slave, as well as the newer master hard drive. Just copied the mint folder to the master drive. How can I add it to my boot? Can I use GAG?
thinnmann
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can I move a dual boot within windows to a new hard drive?

Postby emorrp1 on Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:35 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is what you're after, it worked for the OP - viewtopic.php?f=159&t=22553
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby thinnmann on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:10 pm

Thanks for your reply, but no, I do not want to convert to a full install - I want to run my old "within windows" installation on the new hard disk without reinstalling. (i.e. I want to use the copied files from my old "within windows" installation.)
thinnmann
Level 1
Level 1

Postby emorrp1 on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:41 pm

Ahh, I see, to a new winXP install, rather than just a new hard-drive. You could try installing mint4win on the new computer, then overwrite with the backup you made earlier. This way the bootloader would be corrected, and hopefully you'd have the old files in the new computer. I say hopefully, because I don't actually use mint4win, but if you're backup and restore methods are sensible, you shouldn't have any problems.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby thinnmann on Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:30 pm

I will try that - but I was hoping I could just add a line to winini or something like that...
thinnmann
Level 1
Level 1

Postby emorrp1 on Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:41 pm

well, you had to do more than that to install it in the first place, why would installing it on a different machine be any easier. Unlike linux, windows add/remove programs is not very clean, it makes changes all over the place.
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Installation & Boot