I've lost my LM installation! (Solved)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

I've lost my LM installation! (Solved)

Postby Howard on Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:05 pm

I have been up to now a PCLinuxOS user primarily, but am having trouble with some of my old hardware (Wifi adaptor particularly) with the latest version, so I thought I'd try Linux Mint, as one of my friends recommended it.

I have a many partitioned 5 yr old iBuddy desknote (a kind of laptop without batteries). It has never had anything but versions of Linux on it (i.e. Windows free). I have three partitions for installations and other, larger ones for data, pictures etc. which I access through symbolic links - thus enabling me to access them from which ever OS I'm using. My working OS is currently PCLOS 2007, and I have a problematic installation of PCLOS2009.1. I put "Gloria" over an even older PCLOS and quite liked what I saw. It does now recognise my WUSB11 v2.8 wifi adaptor - an earler version didn't. One problem was that although it did find the boot files for the other OSs it muddled them up and still included the one it had just over-written, but on the wrong partition. Fortunately I have had a bit of experience in editing grub menu.lst files and got that straightened out.

Going back to my 2007 I decided to tidy up its boot menu using the control centre, forgetting that it would then rewrite the master boot record - something I have no experience in editing. When I pasted the entry for Gloria from her own menu.lst file into the 2007 one it doesn't work - I get a "wrong file type" message from grub, so cannot get back to Gloria. I thought I'd discovered the problem when I noticed that Gloria uses sda instead of hda, but changing that didn't fix it either.

Can anyone help? Is there a way to get at my original installation, or do I have to re-install it over itself?
Last edited by Howard on Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Howard
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: I've lost my LM installation!

Postby DataMan on Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:21 am

I can't help you with the menu.lst for PCLinux. To get back to the mint grub try at terminal:
Code: Select all

$sudo grub

grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
grub> root(hd0,5)
grub> setup(hd0)

The above assume your Mint is located on partition 6 (adjust accordingly).

Hope this helps.

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Howard on Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:56 am

Thanks Dataman, I tried that, but got the same message:

Error #2: wrong file or folder type.

I was able to put it back to my PCLOS 2007 boot menu so it was working. Maybe there are two different version of grub involved?
Howard
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Howard on Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:31 am

However, it did work from the LM live CD so I guess my guess about versions is right. Thanks DataMan.
Howard
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot