LinuxMint7 won't run at all [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

LinuxMint7 won't run at all [SOLVED]

Postby ant16 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:44 pm

Hello everybody,

I'm from Poland so my English (US/GBr) is not as good as I wish.

I have a problem with newest version of Mint. I downloaded .iso file lately. Burned it on a CD. And I can't "get in" ;)
I tried normal mode, compatibility (feels like I messed up letters ;) )... as a result... black screen.
In normal mode as I wrote "black screen" after hmmm... progress bar (correct name?)
and in compatibility mode I got some weird stuff on top of the screen (pink...green... maze with a linux mint logo x4 but hardly visible)
I left it for above half an hour today but nothing more happend :/
I thought it could be a disc... but no. I runed it at laptop and worked.

My pc conf:
P4 2,4 GHz
1,5 GB RAM
250 GB HDD Samsung
radeon x1650pro 512mb
ViewSonic va1903wb 19" wide

I know it's old... but other distros works fine... and it's my first time ever LiveCD dosen't work :C

I tried even installing Mint under Windows (from iso mounted) and after that it went to a screen (black or with mint logo) and mouse cursor is there... but won't budge :/

I used all way "around" i could imagine... tried all "noapic, nolapic, noacpi, acpi=off, irqpoll etc...." it still does not work :/

Please help me run LM ^^'

P.S. If something is writen wrong or unclear ... ask ... I'll try and use a dictionary next time ;)
Last edited by ant16 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ant16
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LinuxMint7 won't run at all

Postby ii Candor ii on Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:11 am

So can you run it as a Live CD?
Also I'm assuming you're choosing a different language than English. Try installing as English and see if it's usable.
Honestly I've noticed some bugs in Mint 7 (or rather Ubuntu 9.10), so I'm running LM 6. Have you tried installing LM6?
ii Candor ii
Level 1
Level 1

Postby trident on Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:37 am

Do you perhaps have a PCI network card? I had a problem with similar symptoms, plus flashing LEDs on my keyboard after the lockup. After changing just about everything I could think of, I finally realised that it was my wireless card causing this, and booting without it worked fine. Just a thought.
trident
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ant16 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:17 am

No. It won't run as LiveCD or installed.

I don't have network card in PCI slot. Integrated in mainboard >> Gigabyte GA-8PE667 Ultra
but... does Wi-Fi counts? :> --EDIT-- I AM LAME... You wrote "wireless"... xD I'll try that... but I need Wi-Fi... so lame... --EDIT--
in PCI I have also tv tuner... but as I could see while loading LM it found drivers for that.

--EDIT--

I tried just now LM6 and... it's very same as in LM7... won't run. And goes to the black screen with cursor that won't move... :/
ant16
Level 1
Level 1

Postby trident on Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:56 pm

Have you tried booting without the wifi card? That solved the problem for me, then once I had a working system I used "Windows Wireless Drivers" to install the driver, turned off and plugged the card back in, then turned the computer back on again and had working wifi!
trident
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenathos on Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:58 pm

In addition to "compatibility mode," have you tried to press the tab key and enter a new boot parameter? I have had to use both "compatibility mode" and vga=791 in the boot parameter. Once I did that, everything worked just fine. It is worth trying. Good luck.

Some codes for standard screens:
vga=788 for 800x600
vga=791 for 1024x768
vga=794 for 1280x1024
vga=797 for 1600x1200
Debian 7 with GNOME 64-bit
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Postby ant16 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:02 pm

ad.1.
In few minutes I'll try and start it without Wi-Fi. And see what results will be ;)

--EDIT--
You were right! Thanks so much! :) It's all my Pentagram Wi-Fi internal card ;]

ad.2.
Yes, I have tried some paremeters vga=... but none have helped.

Thanks for trying to help me folks ^^

--EDIT--
SOLVED ^^
ant16
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot