No boot splash screen on laptop

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

No boot splash screen on laptop

Postby jaspmatt on Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:30 am

My laptop refuses to display a gzipped .xpm file in Grub even though it works quite well with my (2) other Gloria installations on my desktops. here is a cut-down version of my menu.lst file for your viewing pleasure. Has anyone seen this on a laptop before?
Code: Select all
default      0

## Graphical boot menu location
#gfxmenu=/boot/gfxmenu/linuxmint.message

timeout      5
splashimage=(hd0,2)/boot/grub/penguin.new.xpm.gz

title      Linux Mint 7 Gloria, kernel 2.6.28-11-generic
root      (hd0,2)
kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic root=/dev/sda3 ro quiet splash
initrd      /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic
quiet

title           Windows XP Home Edition
root            (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader     +1
"The Second Amendment isn't about protecting ourselves against criminals. It's about all of us protecting ourselves from all of you." ---Dr. Suzanne Gratia Hupp to Congressman Charles Schumer (D-NY)
jaspmatt
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: No boot splash screen on laptop

Postby jaspmatt on Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:19 pm

After poking around all afternoon I think I have answered my own question. It appears that Mint has modified and uses their own version of Grub called Grub-gfxmint I believe. So the command splashimage is no longer recognized as valid and appears to be ignored. I have two choices here. Either live with the Mint boot screen, or apt-get remove the grub-gfxmint version and re-install the standard Grub package unless some learned guru reads this and can tell me how to use the new gfxmenu command to put up the splashimage I want.
Suggestions and comments welcome at this point.
"The Second Amendment isn't about protecting ourselves against criminals. It's about all of us protecting ourselves from all of you." ---Dr. Suzanne Gratia Hupp to Congressman Charles Schumer (D-NY)
jaspmatt
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Installation & Boot