installing linux mint

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
proxima_centauri

Re: installing linux mint

Post by proxima_centauri »

A little small but enough assuming you're not going to be storing a lot of personal data.

After installation Linux Mint 7 should take up around 4-5GB of space I believe.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Hi irish,
Your specs show 320mb ram, which is a little low for installation of Mint 'Main' (Gnome). Clem states in the Release blog that 512mb is recommended for installation, but should run on less ram once installed. There have been some forum posts regarding installation with less ram, you may want to search them up before taking the plunge!
I have an old pc with 256mb, and I decided to go with the Xfce community edition, and it installed with NO problems whatsoever! :D Very fast too!
Only version 6 is available at present, The version 7 (Gloria) community editions are going to be released within the next week or two.

regards, Richard

ps: ram is pretty cheap nowadays! :wink:
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

I don't think a fresh install shouldn't take more than 3GB, mine is currently only 4GB, I recommend 6GB partitions for Linux on small HDD. I also recommend the XFCE edition.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

If you are worried about installing with short ram, check out Mint 6 Fluxbox Edition. In direct install mode, Fluxbox will install with as little as 128 Meg of ram or 64 Meg with a preinstalled 64 Meg swap space.

Return to “Installation & Boot”