WinXP in dual-boot does not boot after video card change

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

WinXP in dual-boot does not boot after video card change

Postby asok_d_intern on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:52 am

Hi all. I dual boot linux mint Felicia x64 and Windows XP Professional. Recently my video card died on me so I bought a brand spanking new one to replace the bad one. After switching the cards on the motherboard, I could get to the grub menu and boot into Linux. However, yesterday I tried copying some VCDs using Brasero but that kept freezing my computer (my keyboard's caps lock and scroll lock lights would also constantly flash). K3B does not copy CDs with multiple tracks. Gnomebaker doesn't seem to work. So I decided to boot into Windows XP (which had been working before my video card died) to use nero. On the grub menu, I chose to boot into WinXP and the usual menu came up offering to boot into the various safe modes or the last good working configuration or normal startup. This happened of course because I changed a significant piece of hardware. In my experience Windows XP should still be able to boot up, at least in safe mode, and I should be able to set up the new video card in windows. However, whatever startup option I choose, after pressing the enter key, the screen just remains on the black startup option screen. It seems the system freezes and Windows XP never boots. Does anyone know what just happened here and how to fix it? Thanks!
asok_d_intern
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: WinXP in dual-boot does not boot after video card change

Postby Husse on Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:41 am

This is a Windows only issue
If it's easy to fix or not depends on if you have a real Windows CD and not a Rescue CD of sorts
If you have a real Windows CD you should be able to boot with it and opt to repair Windows
It's been a really long time since I last did that so I can't tell you the exact procedure
But if you, like the big majority of people, only have a rescue CD that is not an option, if you use that CD it will wipe your Windows partition clean - and possibly the whole hard disk so don't use it
If there still is at least a minimal function in the old card use it to uninstall the drivers
Sorry but this is the end of my suggestions...
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby asok_d_intern on Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:03 pm

Thanks for the help! I'll try the Windows CD =)

Husse wrote:This is a Windows only issue
If it's easy to fix or not depends on if you have a real Windows CD and not a Rescue CD of sorts
If you have a real Windows CD you should be able to boot with it and opt to repair Windows
It's been a really long time since I last did that so I can't tell you the exact procedure
But if you, like the big majority of people, only have a rescue CD that is not an option, if you use that CD it will wipe your Windows partition clean - and possibly the whole hard disk so don't use it
If there still is at least a minimal function in the old card use it to uninstall the drivers
Sorry bat this is the end of my suggestions...
asok_d_intern
Level 1
Level 1

Postby atlef on Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:53 am

Boot into safe mode by pressing F8 during win boot, and remove the graphics card driver, reboot win and see if that helps.

atlef.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Installation & Boot