Cassandra install with SATA and dual boot configuration

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ku4tp

Cassandra install with SATA and dual boot configuration

Post by ku4tp »

In trying to install the second beta I get to the partitioner, but the installer / partitioner does not see any of my existing partitions. This means I can't keep my XP install, my FAT partiion, or even my /home mounted on its own partion. This system installed feisty with no problem. Same disk installs on IDE systems just fine. Any ideas?

Virgil
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Others have had partitioner problems with the second beta.
see:
http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2687

it may be best waiting for the next beta/RC or the full mint 3.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
ku4tp

Post by ku4tp »

Yes, there were - NTFS for Windows, FAT for - well, no reason any more but it was there - 2 ext 3 partitions and a swap - 5 total. The installer saw neither - but it did see the drive.

And gparted also does not see the partitions - indicates sda as unallocated.
ku4tp

FIXED!!!

Post by ku4tp »

Yep, that's right. Problem solved. In the reinstall of XP, seems that the boys in Redmond decided they knew better than I did and Windows did something to my partition table that affected the installer's ability to see the partitions. The fix? Reinstall Windows and delete all partitions first. Then, create an NTFS for the MS install and *then* do a fresh Linux install. Discovered the answer when I decided to reinstall Feisty and wait for the final Cassandra release and !BINGO! Same problem from a disk that installed without a hitch not 4 weeks ago. Once again the arrogant S.O.B.s at Microsoft made my life harder than it had to be. And before you ask - I need Windows for work. I have even moved most of the games I like to Linux, thanks to Crossover. Now running Cassandra with no problem. Thanks to all who tried to help - the community is often reason enough to run Linux.

V.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

That's why I am M$ XP free on all but one box! It took less time than I would have ever expected when I started. Oh, and did I mention it was FUN javascript:emoticon(':lol:') reformatting the ntfs partition!

Return to “Installation & Boot”