Installation problem on ASUS eeepc 701

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Installation problem on ASUS eeepc 701

Postby bob4linux on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:37 am

I have tried to install Mint 7 on a partition on a usb drive on my eeepc 701. Because of screen real estate problems I was unable to access the manual partitioner in a useable manner and so failed to install Mint. I have been able to work around the very same problem installing Ubuntu 9.04 and have installed that on the usb drive. So my question is this, how can I convert a Ubuntu 9.04 installation into Mint.

Bob
bob4linux
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installation problem on ASUS eeepc 701

Postby DrHu on Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:22 pm

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/vga-boot-m ... esolution/
--try setting the screen mode before continuing the install Linux Mint
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby pdc_2 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:28 am

thank you Husse; this is very interesting information;

when they say on the website

For example at boot you might type:

can you specify what that means: ie press F2 to get into boot options?
pdc_2
Level 5
Level 5

Postby barrieluv on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:42 am

This is from a post on the Ubuntu forum:

"When booting from the LiveCD, you have to do it while still at the graphical grub menu. When the CD boots and shows the Ubuntu logo with a 30 second timeout, press the escape key. A box will come up warning you about going to the text-based grub interface. Just press enter. This will drop you to a boot: prompt. Type "live vga=791", or whatever your desired resolution is, and then the liveCD will boot its kernel at this resolution. Note that this is temporary for one boot only."

For the 701, you will need to type vga=789.

Hitting F2 at the Asus screen takes you into the BIOS (which you don't want) and by tapping away at the Esc key at the Asus screen will give you a list of devices to boot from (handy for booting from USB).

By the way, when you were at the partitioning screens on the Mint install, were you not able to use the "hold ALT and left click together and use the touchpad to drag the window around" method? It's very useful when the window is bigger than your screen.
EeePC 701 Ubuntu 10.04 || HP Pavilion DV6 Linux Mint 13 Mate Edition My Eee Blog
barrieluv
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Ozz on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:54 am

By the way, when you were at the partitioning screens on the Mint install, were you not able to use the "hold ALT and left click together and use the touchpad to drag the window around" method? It's very useful when the window is bigger than your screen.

This in my view is the trick to install some of these distros on 7 inch screens.
Ozz
Level 3
Level 3

Postby bob4linux on Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:50 pm

barrieluv wrote:This is from a post on the Ubuntu forum:

It's a few days now and maybe I did not. I always use a usb mouse because I detest touchpads. Maybe I need to use it for this job. If that fails I'll try your other suggestions.
FWIW most Linux users who attend our local computer club (chiangmai-geeks) use Mint.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Bob
bob4linux
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot