Notebook freezes during installation of latest Linux distros

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Notebook freezes during installation of latest Linux distros

Postby lakaski on Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:22 am

Hello everyone. This is my first post at the forum. I have a Toshiba Satellite notebook with Pentium IV 3GHz processor, 512 Mb RAM and 60 Gb HDD. My graphics card is an Intel 852GM with up to 64 Mb RAM. I have been using Ubuntu since Dapper Drake and I was quite satisfied that I found an easy way of getting into the Linux philosophy.
Lately I 've decided to change everything to my notebook, format my disk, and make a clean installation of WinXP as well as a brand new version of a friendly Linux distribution such as Linux Mint 7 (I 'd heard about it at a Greek forum and I 've decided to give it a try). During last week I have made a lot of unfruitful efforts to install Linux Mint 7 as well as the Ubuntu 9.04 and OpenSUSE 11.1. They all seem to freeze during the installation procedure and they never end up working properly.
On the other hand I managed to install OpenSUSE 10.3 and Linux Mint 5 LTS without having any problem. This is my first experience with Linux Mint and I find it very easy, stable and I feel I 'll enjoy it more than any other Linux distribution. It seems that I 'll stick to it permanently and I 'm really happy about it.
I would like to receive comments about my inability to install the latest release of the Linux Mint. Would you recommend to give up trying installing Linux Mint 7?
Thank you all in advance. Keep up the good work.
lakaski
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Notebook freezes during installation of latest Linux distros

Postby Fornhamfred on Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:53 am

Welcome to Mint.

I think that the answer to your problem is in your statement that Ubuntu 9.04 will not load. Mint 7 is based on this and if Ubuntu will not load then Mint 7 is very unlikely to. You could try looking in the Ubuntu forum to see if any one has the same problem but I would suggest that the problem relates to your Intel graphics.

In your position I would stick with the very stable Mint 5.

Sorry that I am unable to offer any other info.

Good Luck
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Postby lakaski on Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:26 am

Thank you very much for the reply. I 've been searching the Ubuntu forum topics to find anything related since last week. All I can say that I found is that there are problems with some Intel graphics cards. I have the feeling that my notebook faces such problems, too. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a walk-through to resolve my problem.
I think I 'll stick with version 5 which runs flawlessly.
I wonder if it is going to work if I try to upgrade to another version without installing from the CD, but only downloading and installing the necessary files from the corresponding repos. Any ideas?
lakaski
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fornhamfred on Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:01 pm

Generally the reply would be that although it is possible to upgrade, the preferred route is for a fresh install rather than upgrade.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Installation & Boot