Linux Mint 7 deleated my hard drive

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Linux Mint 7 deleated my hard drive

Postby rivers79 on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:29 am

After the install I let the option menu time out and load Mint 7. It went to the loading screen with the "load bar" under Linux Mint 7, which seemed to fully load. It then went to a black screen with a pointer and that was it for 10 minutes.

I then did a hard shut down and asked for it to boot to Windows. All I got was to press ctrl + alt+ del to restart. I took it to a local computer store today. We put a Windows disk in and it showed three partitions. The main partition said that it was free, basically there was nothing loaded on it.

I am currently in the process of reinstalling Windows then tomorrow I will reinstall Mint 7. Any ideas of what option I should chose to keep the information that is on the hard drive?

Thanks.
rivers79
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint 7 deleated my hard drive

Postby DrHu on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:56 am

• Follow the guided partition setup during Linux mint install from the CD
  • Choose share with the other operating system, side by side
    --this should show windows & Mint as the selections
    --mint will write a GRUB bootloader into the first hard drive (where windows is stored, the C: drive) into the MBR (master boot record)
  • Reboot and both windows and mint should be able to start
    --however I would start mint first from the GRUB bootmenu (bootloader) and let it finish the install sequence..
http://www.raiden.net/articles/review_linux_mint_7/
You also have the option of running mint live, getting the desktop and checking its operation before performing an installation from the desktop (graphical install)

If you are worried about windows, which as you saw wasn't deleted or damaged for the OS at all, the bootloader just didn't work
--you can defragment windows with its own tools, and if you only have one windows partition you could resize it with a windows tool, or you can let gparted (the partition editor) that Mint uses to resize the windows partition

if you are really worried about this, I would probably suggest using windows tools to work on the windows partition, and satisfy yourself that it can still boot before installing Mint V7

safety precautions ..multiboot
You could also in the advanced install selection, part of the guided partitioning, just before committing the partition changes (you select advanced and see what options are there), you will find MBR [x] checked, meaning it intends to write to the boot record of the first hard drive, that is overwrite windows boot record with t6he GRUB bootloader

If you don't allow that [x]MBR write, then the GRUB bootloader won't be installed and windows will still boot, you can the see in /boot/grub/menu.1st what the entries for the Linux Mint V7 would be
--you can easily restore a windows MBR via the command (from a windows bootup) fdisk /mbr or you could se windows safe mode (F8 key) to get a restore of the MBR or a boot of the last known good boot ..
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby rivers79 on Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:31 am

[quote="DrHu"]
  • Follow the guided partition setup during Linux mint install from the CD
  • Choose share with the other operating system, side by side

*** That is what I did.

--this should show windows & Mint as the selections
    --mint will write a GRUB bootloader into the first hard drive (where windows is stored, the C: drive) into the MBR (master boot record)
  • Reboot and both windows and mint should be able to start
    --however I would start mint first from the GRUB bootmenu (bootloader) and let it finish the install sequence..

*** I also did this and that is when the black screen came up with the pointer in the middle and it just sat there.

I am in the process right now of reinstalling Windows and then I am going to reinstall Mint 7 tomorrow. I will let you know how that went.

Thanks.
rivers79
Level 2
Level 2

Postby rivers79 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:46 am

I did the reinstall this morning with a dual boot of Windows and Linux Mint 7 and everything worked well this time.

I used the side by side option again with no problems.
rivers79
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Installation & Boot