Install failing on new HD [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Install failing on new HD [SOLVED]

Postby Buck Fury on Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:04 pm

I'm trying and failing to install mint on a brand new HD, no other OS (goodbye XP!).

Mint 7 "Gloria" main edition
Older (2000-2001?) HP model XT958 P4-1800 / 512MB RAM
Brand new WD EIDE/PATA drive - 500GB

First install, using "Select the entire disk", appeared fine until reboot, which resulted in grub error 18. Googling, it seemed to be saying that b/c of the older PC/bios, a smaller boot partition was needed.

Second install I manually specified partitions and created a 32MB boot partition plus 2 others and a swap space. During the install I got an error message (errno 5? not sure) saying it couldn't write a file. I clicked OK and waited about 15 minutes while the install meter was hung at 29%. Finally I powered off the pc (probably BAD, in retrospect).

Third attempt I created a new iso image and verified it. Selected same partition settings as attempt 2 and continued. Midway through it barfs with some disk error saying it cannot write. Booting up now it gives grub error 15. When I try to boot in compatability mode it complains of sector errors.

Sorry such a newb - please help.
Last edited by Buck Fury on Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buck Fury
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Install failing on new HD

Postby Aging Technogeek on Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:17 pm

You may be encountering a problem that sometimes occurs on older machines with small ram installations. Although the release notes say Mint needs only 512 Meg to install, it occasionally takes more. Not a problem on newer systems as most have 1 Gig or more, but on systems like yours it can be trouble.

One way around this without installing more ram is to partition the hard drive before you begin the installation using the partition editor from the live CD desktop or, if you can get it, a stand alone copy of Gparted (available free here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=271779 Get the .iso file so it can boot ). If you do this and allocate at least 512 Meg to swap space, the installer can use the swap space as virtual ram to ease the installation.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby lagagnon on Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:19 pm

Did you set up your BIOS correctly when you installed the new hard drive? Did you also follow the exact directions for setting the Master/Save jumper pins on that Western Digital drive. Usually on WD drives you must ensure if it is the only drive that there are NO jumper pins. Please check that stuff first. I think you have a hardware problem, not a software one.
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Buck Fury on Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:00 pm

lagagnon wrote:Did you also follow the exact directions for setting the Master/Save jumper pins on that Western Digital drive. Usually on WD drives you must ensure if it is the only drive that there are NO jumper pins. Please check that stuff first. I think you have a hardware problem, not a software one.

This was the solution. I had the jumper on, which may have worked with newer motherboards, but the WD instructions said no jumpers for non 'cable select' configurations. I then reinstalled with no problems. No bios change needed in my case.

Thanks for the quick and helpful responses!
Buck Fury
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Install failing on new HD [SOLVED]

Postby Aging Technogeek on Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:26 pm

Glad you got it fixed. Sometimes I overlook the obvious but there is always someone else looking in who has the right answer. That's what makes this forum so great.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Return to Installation & Boot