Installing from and Ubuntu/Vista dual boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Installing from and Ubuntu/Vista dual boot

Postby Spud1907 on Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:23 pm

Hello,
I'm somewhat new to Linux. I've used Ubuntu for a couple of months now, and really liked it. So I started looking for other distros and found Mint. I've tried the live CD for about a week now and want to switch from Ubuntu to Mint.

What would be the easiest way to do this? I still want to keep my Vista partition, but want the Ubuntu partition to become Mint. Can I just install Mint and it will overwrite Ubuntu? should I delete the partition with Vista, then repartition it and boot up with the Mint CD? What is the easiest way to do this without ruining Vista or my boot up?

-Spud
Spud1907
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installing from and Ubuntu/Vista dual boot

Postby Aging Technogeek on Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:04 pm

Just run the Mint install disk and when the partitioner comes up select "Manual". In the partition table , find the Ubuntu partition(s) (format ext 2 or ext3) and click on it(them - one at a time) to select. Choose edit partition, format to the file type you want (ext2,3,or 4; or reiserfs) mount as / or /home as appropriate, and continue the installation. Mint will be installed over Ubuntu.

You could also delete the Ubuntu partitions and use the space to set up a new partition scheme for Mint.

You can retain the Ubuntu swap partition, swap is good for any distro.

As long as you don't touch the ntfs partition, Vista will not be affected.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Return to Installation & Boot