Linux Mint doesn't boot [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vivi.hot

Linux Mint doesn't boot [SOLVED]

Post by vivi.hot »

Hello. I recently went to install Windows 7 in another partition apart from the Linux Mint 7 one. The thing is now I get no boot menu and go directly to Windows 7. I used the Ubuntu Live CD to try to modify the grub appears and defaults to 4. The Linux partition is still there but no way to get back access. How do I modify grub from Windows to Linux is the default? How do I return to see the boot menu?

Another thing is when I go to system settings in the boot "tab" I just get Windows 7 as operating system, not Mint. Is it normal to not see a Linux operating system detected by Windows, just like the partitions formatted with ext?

P.s.:My partition is ext4.

Can someone help me please? I want Linux Mint 7 back without reinstalling it? :cry: :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Linux Mint doesn't boot

Post by Husse »

This is normal - if you install Windows after Linux
Windows does not give a damn about other operating systems so it just writes over MBR
You have to repair grub - described here
vivi.hot

How to repair GRUB

Post by vivi.hot »

I do everything the link says but it doesn't let me modify it. I also tried the Auto super grub, but it doesn't install very well in windows 7.
Husse

Re: Linux Mint doesn't boot

Post by Husse »

but it doesn't let me modify it.
How so?
I'll try myself shortly
vivi.hot

Nah

Post by vivi.hot »

I deleted both OS
Last edited by vivi.hot on Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivi.hot

Nah

Post by vivi.hot »

I deleted both OS, I intalled Windows 7 first and later I plan to reinstall Mint. I didn't have important files, so what the heck. Thanks for your help, though. :) The problem was that when I writed grub> find /boot/grub/stage1 says error command.

Return to “Installation & Boot”