Gloria Cold Boot Problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Gloria Cold Boot Problem

Postby Begabe on Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:20 pm

I have previously installed and run Elyssa & Felicia on a 6 yr. old Hp computer with 750 mb memory and intel graphics card. It is on a dual boot 30 gb separate partition with XP on a 40 gb partition. Gloria installed and re-started and booted fine. After shutting down and re booting Gloria gets to the loading screen and the loading bar completes its journey across and then the screen goes blank. I can boot Gloria in recovery mode fine and do a re-start (warm boot) and Gloria will boot to the log in screen and boot fine. A warm re-boot and Gloria loads and boots fine. If I boot to XP and do a warm boot, Gloria loads and boots fine. It is just the cold boot that causes problems. Any suggestions
Begabe
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Gloria Cold Boot Problem

Postby lagagnon on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:51 pm

Have you ever had this cold boot problem with the WinXP partition? At any rate I suspect a hardware fault rather than a software fault. I would start by running memtest from a Live CD.
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Begabe on Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:45 pm

thanks laganon, but it wasn't a hardware problem. I removed Gloria, reinstalled Felicia and Felicia booted fine. So I changed the way I installed Gloria.
1. booted from live cd
2. used partition manager to remove old partition created a new partition and then formatted it as ext3
3. then installed Gloria

Previously I created the partition and then went to install, without formatting, and told Gloria to use the largest free space for the installation. This didn't work, although it showed on the graphic that it was using the newly created 30gb partition to install. I'm relatively new to linux and don't know why I had to format first, but it works so live and learn, I guess.
Begabe
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lagagnon on Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:48 pm

Begabe wrote:Previously I created the partition and then went to install, without formatting,...

Yes, some Linux installers just need the partition space and they will then ask you what filesystem you want the partition formatted to and then do the formatting for you, others require a preexisting formatted partition.

Glad it all worked out for you.
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Carpintonto on Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:59 pm

I got my rtfm right the second time.

Get yours here.
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... nglish.pdf

I found it is necessary to follow the instructions pages 16-18.
Simply allowing the installer to decide how to re-size existing partitions does not work, at least for dual-booting.

Some of the options are different than the screen shots in the user guide.
I made both my main and swap partitions primary partitions.
If you indicate type as swap, it knows it is supposed to format that partition as swap and where it's mount point is supposed to be.

Now all is good.
Carpintonto
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot