Install freezing at 5% while partitioning SOLVED!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Install freezing at 5% while partitioning SOLVED!

Postby Travo on Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:04 pm

OK, I'm as big a newbie as they come. I have a few people I work with that are well versed in Linux. When I try to install Gloria the installer has 7 steps. I can get through all 7 steps fine but when the installation actually starts it freezes at 5% (partitioning ext3 everytime. It stops here for several min. then the installer window just disappears. We haven't found anything in the logs. Does anyone have any advise?
Last edited by Travo on Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Travo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Install freezing at 5% while partitioning

Postby rivenathos on Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:40 pm

You may wish to try this: While running the Live CD, set up your partitions using the Administration > Partition Editor application. Make sure you have a proper swap file set up in addition to what other partitions you may need. You will then have the partitions ready for setting up manually when using the Ubiquity installer. I have seen similar problems, and this has seemed to help. Perhaps it will work for you, as well.
Debian 7 with GNOME 64-bit
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Travo on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:08 pm

I have already tried that. My next step is probably going to be running F Disc, make fs, and fsck to delete any old partitions and create new ones.Then possiblely bombing the hard drive if there is still an un editable partition. I think it's called an ID bomb. Some compputers come with a recovery partition that requires a code to delete.
Travo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Travo on Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:42 pm

I got it working. I just reinstalled windows and ran the installation thru windows as a side by side which is what I wanted to do in the first place.

Thanx
Travo
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot