New Install?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

New Install?

Postby Droopy on Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:49 am

Newb here, I have a dual boot setup with windows xp on 120 gb seagate ide drive and 160 gb ide seagate drive with pclinuxos .93a BD. I have 29 gb of free space to install Mint and my quistion is involves partitioning for Mint system on it. Should I use just one big partition or should I make a two partitions with one being /home? What are your thoughts? also should I install the boot loader on the main partition of mint? I have grub already installed. Thanks for any info on this matter. :D

My Spec: Asus MB P4P400 Deluxe with Intel 2.8c ghz,512 mb memory,ati 9200 video card.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Unknown
Droopy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:04 pm

Hi,

Ideally, you could share your /home between PCLinuxOS and Mint.. but if you're a "Newb" (you said it! :)) I wouldn't recommend that. Simply create an ext3 partition for Linux Mint. 10GB should be enough. And you can use the same swap partition as you use for PCLinuxOS.

Now for the bootloader, grub, you can put it in the MBR (hd0) if you want the Mint bootloader to be loaded (it should detect your PCLinuxOs and Windows OS so you shouldn't have to do anything).

Otherwise you can keep the bootloader that you installed with PCLinuxOS but you'll have to update its configuration to add an entry for Linux Mint.

good luck,
Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Droopy on Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:18 pm

Thanks for the info clem :) I'm going install Mint now........
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Unknown
Droopy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Droopy on Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:33 pm

Well, after the install I've got to admit that it only took about 10 min to installed and I like it. Even with the customized install grub did work properly when directed to install on hd0 & it detected all my other operations system.
Guess I'll keep it around awhile. :D I did give Mint 29 GB of space because I still have around 65 GB free on my 160 GB drive. Droopy
Droopy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby justo on Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:28 am

Hello. I want to get more info here.. I have a 60 GIG HD with Windows 2000 installed.Would you say to do this? Use the QT Parted disk to make a ten gig partition? Or does the Mint Bea CD have a capabilty to do that? If I use the QT Parted disk to do that.( I am not an expert with this ) Do I set the ten gig partition at the far end away from the Windows load? Give more info here please.----------- Another question.I have an older IBM Netvista A 40 PC with Win 2000 loaded.If I want to add Mint Bea to that hard drive it boots by floppy.Not by CD.Can a floppy be had to boot the Mint on older PCs?If so how?
justo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Telkwa on Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:37 am

Hi, justo -
I spent most of the day yesterday working on two guides, one for making partitions with the GParted LiveCD, and the other for dual-booting PCLinuxOS. The PCLOS part won't help you much, but perhaps you could get something out of the GPLCD part.
I haven't dinked with QParted, just GParted. If you have broadband, downloading the GParted package isn't a big deal. You know how to convert an .iso to a bootable CD, right? Same thing as making a Linux install CD.

Anyway, here's the GParted LiveCD website
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

and here's the forum thread where I posted my how-to's as .pdf's
http://www.techsupportforum.com/alterna ... ux-os.html

In the first how-to (GPLCD) I explain how to make a new primary partition with one Linux install already on the HDD. In the PCLOS guide I detailed how to manage the bootloader. If Mint Linux can handle these bootloader issues automatically, that would be a wonderful thing.

I hope that helps out a little...
Telkwa
Level 1
Level 1

Postby justo on Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:36 am

O, Thanks.I have been doing ISOs a good while now and have both format disk. I just load something like MEPIS 6 then load Mint over it.But I will read the instructions you put up there. Boot floppy?Any easy way to do that?
justo
Level 1
Level 1

re: new install

Postby randizzle3000 on Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:07 pm

Hi, I was using ubuntu 6 from the live cd for a while, then i decided to install it. I was using gparted and i went almost all the way to the end. It wanted to format an ext3 partition (that I had set up previously) to ext3, which I thought was pointless but it's the only option it gave me. Then it was saying something scary like "all the information on this disk will be erased". Not 'partition', but 'disk'.

This is my problem: I have 3 hard drives, 0, 1, and 2.

0 has windows on partition A and windows programs on partB.
1 has a gazillion digital pics on partC and 30gigs as ext3 on partD.
2 has backup data and tons of shared files from my home network on partE and a 5gig swap on partF

I used partitionmagic from windows to set all of this up.
I dont have enough room on hd2 to backup my years of gigs of digital pics, and I'll eventually get them on dvds, but for now, this is my question:

Does mint do that? And if it does, by 'disk' does it mean hd1 will be completely erased? I really like this os, and I've only used unix at school, I'm trying to learn. Thanks!
randizzle3000
Level 1
Level 1

Postby justo on Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:44 am

Telkwa wrote:Hi, justo -
I spent most of the day yesterday working on two guides, one for making partitions with the GParted LiveCD, and the other for dual-booting PCLinuxOS. The PCLOS part won't help you much, but perhaps you could get something out of the GPLCD part.
I haven't dinked with QParted, just GParted. If you have broadband, downloading the GParted package isn't a big deal. You know how to convert an .iso to a bootable CD, right? Same thing as making a Linux install CD.

Anyway, here's the GParted LiveCD website
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

and here's the forum thread where I posted my how-to's as .pdf's
http://www.techsupportforum.com/alterna ... ux-os.html

In the first how-to (GPLCD) I explain how to make a new primary partition with one Linux install already on the HDD. In the PCLOS guide I detailed how to manage the bootloader. If Mint Linux can handle these bootloader issues automatically, that would be a wonderful thing.

I hope that helps out a little...
>>>>>>>>>> I went over and signed up at Tech forum.It is a big site.I made a post on how to make a server into a desktop.I hope to find my anser soon.THANKS!
justo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot