partitioning problems

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lagagnon

Re: partitioning problems

Post by lagagnon »

You have not provided sufficient information for us to help you. Please tell us:

1) what method of install (ie mint4win, Live CD ??)
2) what is the actual error you are getting
3) where during the install process is it failing (ie what page)

Also did you read the Mint Guide to help you with the install process (especially if you are not familiar with partitioning)? It is available from the website.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

OK - run the Live Cd (no install). When you get to the desktop open up a terminal and type:

sudo fdisk -l
df -h

And show us the output you get.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

From what I can see /dev/sda2 is the "hidden" ghosted restore partition for Windows. Leave it alone. You need to resize /dev/sda1 to make space for Mint. Please read the Linux Mint wiki for partitioning documentation, also gparted has a website if you need help with it.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef »

To me it looks like /sda2 is the partition he should resize and that /sda1 is the recoverythingy.

Is there data on /sda2 ? Is this where you want to install Mint?

atlef.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

Is the partition on which you have windows encrypted? If so, that could be the problem. It is somehow being hidden from gparted which does not show any usage of that partition at all, which it normally does, just like the way your sda1 shows. I can not think of any other possible reasons for the problem.

Also from the live cd run

Code: Select all

df -h
in terminal to see if that can show disk free space.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

Yes, make space on and use /dev/sda2. I was wrong. sda1 is the windows recovery partition -leave it.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

Sorry, I forgot to tell you to mount the windows partitions on the disk first, but perhaps you can't can you, hence the original question! See what happens if you try to mount it in the live CD, and then do the

Code: Select all

df -h
again

Return to “Installation & Boot”