AVG for Linux Problems

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

AVG for Linux Problems

Postby GABQ on Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:58 pm

Hey everyone, im new in this forum ^^
i recently downloaded the AVG antivirus for linux to test it on my PC and try to use the antivirus on windows from my linux mint6
but when I installed the program... where is it? the installation was successful and its suppose to show up in the accesories tab on my start menu, but i cant see how can i run the program, is not in my start menu... so i dunno how to run that..

can u help me??

ty! ^^
GABQ
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: AVG for Linux Problems

Postby DrHu on Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:25 pm

GABQ wrote:...I installed the program... where is it? the installation was successful and its suppose to show up in the accesories tab on my start menu, but i cant see how can i run the program, is not in my start menu... so i dunno how to run that..

http://techreviews.in/free-avg-anti-virus-for-ubuntu/
In a terminal
which avg
--should find the executable file..

Mint menu>All applications>yourApp
--they are listed in alphabetical order, so avg ? something should be there; you can right-click, when you locate it and add to favorites, or drag and drop to the desktop..(will appear as icon..)
Last edited by DrHu on Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby GABQ on Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:23 pm

yeah i installed that same avg, i downloaded the ".deb" and intalled it.
but there is no "icon"... i looked for it but its anywhere... did i installed it wrong?
GABQ
Level 1
Level 1

Postby exploder on Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:48 pm

Try DrHu's advice and try starting AVG in the terminal and see what happens.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby GABQ on Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:08 pm

i cant even see the avg folder...
nothing happen when i install that
GABQ
Level 1
Level 1

Postby exploder on Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:17 pm

What happens when you type avg in the terminal and press enter? You should see output in the terminal and AVG should open.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby GABQ on Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:23 pm

nothing happen, it says:
"bash: avg: command not found"
GABQ
Level 1
Level 1

Postby GABQ on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:42 pm

i installed this AVG antivirus and the ClamAV... but how can i scan my pc with it? i cant even find the icon of it
GABQ
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clhodapp on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:06 am

A Few Things:
1) You don't really need antivirus on a Linux-based system. There have been no cases of a Linux Virus occurring in the wild and Linux AV programs really just scan for Windows Viruses.
2) Are you using 64-bit Mint? If so, that explains your trouble: AVG is only for 32-bit systems.
3) If you are running 32 bit, try starting AVG by opening a terminal and typing gksudo avggui
4) ClamAV is a command line tool. There is, however, a graphical interface for it. Install the package called "clamtk". It will make a menu entry called "Virus Scanner".
5) If you really want to scan files all the time, you may want to install the package "nautilus-clamscan", which adds a scanning option to the right click menu of files.
6) ClamAV will say it's out of date. Don't worry. It's only a minor revision and the update should be available from Ubuntu fairly soon here...
clhodapp
Level 3
Level 3

Postby markcynt on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:39 am

Try sudo avg in the terminal.
P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 3GHZ X 2
2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
2x320GB Hitachi
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
markcynt
Level 6
Level 6

Postby DrHu on Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:23 pm

The link I gave showed
http://techreviews.in/free-avg-anti-virus-for-ubuntu/
In order to update the version you’ll have to start AVG with super privileges. To do so, open terminal and type the following:
sudo avggui
in the terminal, of course; as the method to start avg

If you search for av or even a, you will find any file name starting with that letter
--so in the terminal
locate a
locate av
locate avg

The different results ..
--if which (you need to know the filename) does not work, then use locate and search for a pattern
mintuserID@tux ~ $ which mintup
mintuserID@tux ~ $ locate mintup
/etc/xdg/autostart/mintupdate.desktop
/usr/bin/mintupdate
/usr/bin/mintupload
/usr/share/doc/mintupdate
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby GABQ on Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:44 pm

clhodapp wrote:5) If you really want to scan files all the time, you may want to install the package "nautilus-clamscan", which adds a scanning option to the right click menu of files.
6) ClamAV will say it's out of date. Don't worry. It's only a minor revision and the update should be available from Ubuntu fairly soon here...

I installed the package the "nautilus-clamscan" but how do i scan my windows "c:/". I tried the sudo avggui or sudo avg and it just says that the command do not exist... oh if I click any documentor folder with right button, there is any option to scan my files.

I want to scan my windows through my linux, thats what im tryin to do
GABQ
Level 1
Level 1

Postby DrHu on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:56 pm

GABQ wrote:i recently downloaded the AVG antivirus for linux to test it on my PC and try to use the antivirus on windows from my linuxmint6

I guess I really should have very carefully interpreted that statement, but you could have corrected the obvious misinterpretation any time within the last 5 or six posts about Linux operations and avg anti-virus program..

GABQ wrote:I installed the package the "nautilus-clamscan" but [color=navyhow do i scan my windows "c:/".[/color]

how do i scan my windows "c:/"Not from Linux, it is not a general purpose anti-virus scanner, and it is not a windows program, so it will not run against or on a windows OS..

OH, well there will be no general OS anti-virus software available in Linux that will scan a windows OS

Not only will the next windows 7 come with a free anti-virus application, but the current anti-virus vendors Symantec, mcafee will likely all have updated products available..

ClamAV is only for scanning mail that might be coming from windows, since that is where most of the virus congregate..
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/51 ... 22863.html
If you're looking for an open source virus scanner, check out ClamAV, which ships with most Linux distributions. ClamAV scans for viruses as e-mail arrives.
One open source virus scanner that deserves mentioning is ClamAV. You can plug ClamAV directly into e-mail servers, and it will scan for viruses as the e-mail arrives--before it's delivered to users' mailboxes. It also performs routine scans on files that are served up to Windows clients via Samba sharing. ClamAV even has plugins for scanning files on the fly as they are accessed via Samba.
Last edited by DrHu on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby GABQ on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:05 pm

Ok, thank you to everyone =)
thats all i need to know by now

ty so much for your help
GABQ
Level 1
Level 1

Postby johnwhitham on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:11 pm

Hi I have been trying to install AVG 85 on various ubuntu derivatives , ubuntu 904 xubuntu 904 and UNR and mint 7, using 3 different laptops, the result each time has been the same no icon in menus and unable to start from terminal. The laptops used were a del 6300, HP compaq and eeepc running mint 7, Can any one tell me the command to run avg or how to run from a launcher etc, Ive tried avggui which worked on previous versions but not avg85. Thanks.
johnwhitham
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot