upgrade from Felicia to gloria unbootable

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kneekoo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: upgrade from Felicia to gloria unbootable

Post by kneekoo »

Hello! Something similar happened to me. My PC at work originally had Mint 5. When Felicia came out, I upgraded it and thankfully everything went well. About one week ago I decided it was time to me to migrate to Mint 7 on my work PC as well - my home PC already has it since its launch. :)

Oh well, the upgrade seemed fine - although I chose the graphical upgrade because I'm quite busy here at work and I didn't want to follow too many instructions about editing files and so on. After the required reboot, it just went bad. I couldn't start my Mint. After having miserably abandoned my Mint in that state, yesterday I decided it was time to do something about it so I entered the recovery mode. I started with fsck just to be sure everything is right on the HDD before anything else. One of the bottom options are starting the network and going to the console. I chose that option and the network started, but when Mint asked me for the password I typed Ctrl-D to exit the console and continue with the rescue session. After that, I chose Fix broken packages from the rescue menu. Mint went checking up everything on the internet, offered to uninstall almost everything and install back. As I had nothing valuable to lose, I went for it. About half an hour later I restarted the system and it was OK. You will only have to answer some questions after the configuration of the packages starts.

If you have important data it's safer for you to backup everything. Normally nothing can go wrong with your data but just in case anything happens at least you have this advice. The packages reinstallation was a success - I am typing this messenge from my upgraded Mint "Gloria".

Good luck!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kneekoo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kneekoo »

Hello again! Unfortunately, I don't have enough experience to easily guide you through the process, but I do know run levels are something else. They allow the system admin to set certain processes to run in different stages at startup and shutdown. What you probably need is to change the X server configuration to a lower setting, that could work. The file responsible for these settings is: /etc/X11/xorg.conf - make a backup copy, just in case.

I hope this will help you somehow. If not, I'll see what else I can think about or someone more experienced could tag along. Good luck editing! :)
ACE

Post by ACE »

I'm new to this OS as well, but have used Unix/Linux before.

I have this problem too on my installation, but if you type the word 'EXIT' and then press enter the system carries on with the boot and runs as normal. I think the problem is in how long the OS boot waits (or fails to wait!) before it starts up the GUI.

In my case I think all I have to do is set the environment variable 'Rootdelay' to stop it dropping out of the OS shell..... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I think some previous versions of Linux did this ten years ago - can't remember the specifics.

Hope that helps. :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Return to “Installation & Boot”