Mint 7 didn't install completely, how to start over?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint 7 didn't install completely, how to start over?

Postby ktbradford on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:59 am

Hey everyone, need some advice on installing Mint 7 on my Samsung NC10. I first tried to install yesterday aiming toward dual-booting with Win XP. I installed Gloria to around 40GB of unallocated space I created by deleting one of my partitions and allowing the partitioner to auto-create the necessary partitions/allocations/etc.

Everything was going fine until it came to importing documents and settings part -- it stalled at 88% and was stuck there for about 45 minutes before I gave up and closed the installer. Even though I assume this was the last step in the process, I am unsure if Mint installed. I restarted the computer but was given no choice at boot -- it went directly to WinXP. I was installing from a LiveUSB and when I ran from that again and fired up GParted I see that there are partitions created for Mint 7. I don't know much about this particular aspect, but GParted lists what i have as:

/dev/sda2 ntfs [mount point] /mint/migrationassistant 104.04GB (this is my C drive which contains WinXP)
/dev/sda3 extended 38.99GB
\/
/dev/sda5 ext3 /target 37.35GB
/dev/sda6 linux-swap 1.64GB

The question I have is: what should I do at this point? I'm going to disable the importing bit when I install again -- I don't really need it and would rather not bang my head against a wall. Should I erase the partitions that were created and start again from scratch? Should I install on the sda5 partition and trust the installing program will use the existing Linux Swap? Or is Mint actually there just needing a boot table or something?

Thanks!
TechGeek, ChicGeek, JustPlainGeek
ktbradford
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint 7 didn't install completely, how to start over?

Postby lagagnon on Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:47 am

For now just try re-installing overtop of sda5 - it will just write overtop.
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Installation & Boot