No operating system found

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

No operating system found

Postby captin66 on Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:24 pm

Hello evreyone i have a rarther strange issue i decided to install linux mint onto my laptop a fujitsu siemens pi2512 dual core every thing went fine with install didnt want to dual boot just wanted to use linux so at the partition manager just told it to use all of the disk so no problems with grub or boot managers etc and as i said everything went great all installed but here's the prob when i come to restart the machine nothing zip zilch all i get is OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND and thats as far as it gets so if anyone has any ideas that would be great.

Regards
captin66
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: No operating system found

Postby lagagnon on Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:29 pm

If you went through the entire install process without any errors and got the message at the end that grub was installed then you probably do not have your BIOS set to boot from the hard drive. Go into your computer setup (BIOS) and make sure the hard drive is set as a boot device.

EDIT: the other possibility is you have a non-system floppy stuck in the floppy drive (if you have one).
Last edited by lagagnon on Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Re: No operating system found

Postby zeller on Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:31 pm

Though I've been using Linux Mint for about two years now, I still consider myself a newb.

That said, if it installed correctly, the only thing I can think it could be is grub. I've had similar problems before with various distros and configurations, and almost always it's because the grub file doesn't point to the right information.

Use a rescue distro like Parted Magic (my fave) to get into your linux partition. Edit your grub list to fix. You'll have to search online for how to set the grub right though.

I hope that helps somewhat. Someone else with more answers will probably be along shortly. Have faith. :)
DISCLAIMER: Brand new user as of December 07...you have to explain it to me as if I were a 3rd grader.
zeller
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot