Can't boot from CD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Can't boot from CD

Postby ktat on Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:32 am

Recently I have been playing around with installing a variety of OSs on my pc. I have 2 HDDs, the first is 250Gb sata, on it I run Jaunty and have all my other personal files. The 2nd is an 80Gb IDE drive which has Fedora and Mint and others. This was working fine until I decided I need to be able to use EXPee.

After some hiccups in installing EXpee it seemed to be working ok. Then my problem. I started having issues with getting access to other OSs, so I tried booting SGB from a cd to sort out GRUB - I wasn't having much success and then, for no apparent reason, I could no longer boot anything from my cd drive.

I achieve a workaround by swapping the 80Gb HDD for another and found I can still access the 250Gb HDD as well as boot cds. But when I put the 80Gb HDD back in it doesn't matter what boot order I have things in the BIOS - all I get is:

Grub loading, please wait...
then nothing (sometimes gives error 5)
ktat
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can't boot from CD

Postby lagagnon on Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:22 pm

You've discovered my biggest beef with Windows - it assumes it is the only kid on the block and takes over the bootloader, not caring that there may be other OS's on other partitions. You really should install Windows first and then Linux distros. The only thing I can recommend is to get use the Grub Live CD or any Linux Live CD and reinstall Grub using "grub-install" and then "update-grub".
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby ktat on Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:56 pm

use the Grub Live CD or any Linux Live CD and reinstall Grub
I tried changing the boot order in the BIOS so that it should boot from CD, however - for some reason it is not booting from the CD and just goes to grub on HDD and stalls.
ktat
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lagagnon on Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:05 am

If that is the case then either:

1) you still did not get the BIOS order correct, or forgot to save your changes,
2) the CD drive is not connected properly in the machine
3) the CD drive is faulty
4) the boot CD's you made are invalid due to either: a) bad burn, b) burned as data not ISO, c) crappy media, d) burned at too high a speed, e) md5sum not checked.
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby ktat on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:44 am

Wish it was that simple...
1) BIOS order is correct - I even eliminated HDD from boot options completely and saved before exit
2,3,4) CD drive and CDs work fine when 80Gb HDD is replaced with old 8Gb HDD - even installed new OS on older drive

Once I switch back to 80Gb HDD the problem returns.
ktat
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ktat on Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:57 am

correction - cd drive was the problem or, at least, part of it. Interesting thing is though, I was able to use 80Gb HDD on another pc, however, after replacing faulty cd drive and reconnecting 80Gb HDD booting is still an issue.
ktat
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lagagnon on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:50 am

Are you absolutely positive you have the correct slave/master jumpers correct for your drives?
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot