Why is upgrading bad? [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Why is upgrading bad? [SOLVED]

Postby bearded-flower on Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:53 am

Seing as how mint is ubuntu based and i have never had trouble with upgrading that.
So why is so dangerous in mint?
Last edited by bearded-flower on Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
and on the seventh day god chilled.
bearded-flower
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Why is upgrading bad?

Postby emorrp1 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:00 am

It's not that it's any more dangerous in mint, it's just that Ubuntu have decided not to emphasise the point. If you've had no problems upgrading ubuntu, then you shouldn't have any problems upgrading mint. However not everyone is as lucky, there're all sorts of things that can go wrong when you upgrade, ranging from missing apps all the way to an unbootable system. You're also more likely to have an easy upgrade if you've got a relatively fresh and clean install, rather than one which has had all sorts of obscure packages installed.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Why is upgrading bad?

Postby bearded-flower on Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:04 am

Thanks
and on the seventh day god chilled.
bearded-flower
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Why is upgrading bad? [SOLVED]

Postby bomanizer on Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:52 am

I recently used the tool to upgrade my 64 bit mint 6 to mint 7.
I had two complete freezes/lockups after the upgrade. The first happened about 10min after gdm login, the second during shutdown. After those, I've had no problems whatsoever. This was on a T61 laptop with very little tweaks on the mint 6 install.
So yes, upgrading works if you are ready for a few glitches and I think I'll use it in the future also, since I'm too lazy to re-install my favorite apps :)

ps. my first post on this forum, I switched from Ubuntu to Mint somewhere in January. Love it :D
bomanizer
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot