Why is upgrading bad? [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
emorrp1

Re: Why is upgrading bad?

Post by emorrp1 »

It's not that it's any more dangerous in mint, it's just that Ubuntu have decided not to emphasise the point. If you've had no problems upgrading ubuntu, then you shouldn't have any problems upgrading mint. However not everyone is as lucky, there're all sorts of things that can go wrong when you upgrade, ranging from missing apps all the way to an unbootable system. You're also more likely to have an easy upgrade if you've got a relatively fresh and clean install, rather than one which has had all sorts of obscure packages installed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bomanizer

Re: Why is upgrading bad? [SOLVED]

Post by bomanizer »

I recently used the tool to upgrade my 64 bit mint 6 to mint 7.
I had two complete freezes/lockups after the upgrade. The first happened about 10min after gdm login, the second during shutdown. After those, I've had no problems whatsoever. This was on a T61 laptop with very little tweaks on the mint 6 install.
So yes, upgrading works if you are ready for a few glitches and I think I'll use it in the future also, since I'm too lazy to re-install my favorite apps :)

ps. my first post on this forum, I switched from Ubuntu to Mint somewhere in January. Love it :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”