Mint 7 Gloria messed up after metacity uninstall

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rldev

Mint 7 Gloria messed up after metacity uninstall

Post by rldev »

I uninstalled metacity and now my Mint 7 is in shambles. I have no start bar, video settings are out of whack. I had to reinstall metacity to get any semblance of a desktop back. But now I have no mint start bar. Not sure what the best course f action is now. Can I install Mint on top of this installation? If so, would I lose my home dir, virtualbox, etc?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clhodapp

Re: Mint 7 Gloria messed up after metacity uninstall

Post by clhodapp »

I'm pretty sure that this should be fixable. Are there no panels at the top or bottom of your screen?
rldev

Post by rldev »

clhodapp wrote:I'm pretty sure that this should be fixable. Are there no panels at the top or bottom of your screen?

There are panels. Just no mintLauncher and video is screwed up,
clhodapp

Post by clhodapp »

If you have a panel, you should be able to right click it, say "Add to Panel.." and add a mintmenu.
rldev

Post by rldev »

No I tried that already. There is no mintmenu, it is as if it were removed from the system.
clhodapp

Post by clhodapp »

Can you hit alt+f1 and use that menu to open a terminal, type "apt purge mintmenu", then type "apt install mintmenu". Then do another "Add to panel".

Return to “Installation & Boot”