At my wits end, figuring out how to install mint 7 from usb

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

At my wits end, figuring out how to install mint 7 from usb

Postby theoriginalaks on Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:29 am

I am a simple man, I have a simple needs. One of those needs happens to be installing mint 7 from on a USB onto a netbook. I don't want to run mint from the usb, I just want to install from it. This was a simple process for Ubuntu (a few mins with Unetboot and I was ready to install) Mint on the other hand, hates me.

I have searched, prodded, formatted and reformatted my USB drive many, many times in the last few hours and the farthest I have gotten was when it went from halting at a single line of text, to halting at two with a CRC error.
After using the the tutorial at http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-linux- ... n-windows/ the latest error is Loading /casper/vmlinuz Boot failed: please change disks...blah blah blah I might add that this is not the first time I have tried that tutorial today, and I made sure every single thing that even had to chance to run had the chance to run with as many privileges as it could ever want or need.

I am at the end of my rope, I just want a single tutorial designed for mint 7 that lets me install from a USB, I mean I can not be the only person on this earth who wanted to put Mint on a Notebook with their notorious lack of CD drives.

Boring yet important info:
I am using Windows 7 RC to do the USB bits, and again I am using run as admin as much as I can.
I have tried to make a portable mint in the hopes I can install it once there Loading /casper/vmlinuz Boot failed: please change disks...)
I have tried Unetboot (the latest version, ran as admin, Loading /casper/vmlinuz Boot failed: please change disks...)
I have tried another method that ran similar to a tutorial that pendrive had to install Mint 5 from a usb mixed with a tutorial from another site (Boot Halted, CRC)
I also tried the tutorial on the forum with similar results to the above
theoriginalaks
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: At my wits end, figuring out how to install mint 7 from usb

Postby lagagnon on Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:51 am

lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby theoriginalaks on Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:59 am

I want to thank you in advance, however a cursory look over shows that many of the examples are for Ubuntu but I am trying one right now

After trying the last option on the page (manual with syslinux) I was rewarded with a brand new error, Error: idle with IF=0, with the next line filled with numbers that resemble hex code
theoriginalaks
Level 1
Level 1

Postby theoriginalaks on Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:45 am

I am going mad, nothing at all is working, but I do have a specific question involving syslinux
When I cd to the win32 folder in it and execute the command syslinux -s -m G: the screen flashes, then nothing else *looks* like it happens it does not give an error it just flashes, nothing shows up visibly on the USB drive even with show hidden folders checked. I don't know if something is but I thought it seemed odd.
theoriginalaks
Level 1
Level 1

Postby theoriginalaks on Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:42 pm

After many many tries I ended up using ubuntu's usb creator (after having to download and reinstall Ubuntu onto my netbook so I could install mint) but it is done and it works fine.
theoriginalaks
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Kruschev on Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:52 am

Hi. Im a newbie also and I JUST LOVE LINUX MINT !!! I installed it on my ACER Aspire One SSD via USB using a software called UNETBOOTIN. It actually works for most LINUX distros. Happy hunting. :D
Kruschev
Level 1
Level 1

Postby digitallysick on Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:23 pm

Download linuxmint iso

use this http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

and install to flash drive, its about a 3 click process, it couldn't be any easier and yes, it does work with gloria
digitallysick
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot