At my wits end, figuring out how to install mint 7 from usb

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

At my wits end, figuring out how to install mint 7 from usb

Postby theoriginalaks on Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:29 am

I am a simple man, I have a simple needs. One of those needs happens to be installing mint 7 from on a USB onto a netbook. I don't want to run mint from the usb, I just want to install from it. This was a simple process for Ubuntu (a few mins with Unetboot and I was ready to install) Mint on the other hand, hates me.

I have searched, prodded, formatted and reformatted my USB drive many, many times in the last few hours and the farthest I have gotten was when it went from halting at a single line of text, to halting at two with a CRC error.
After using the the tutorial at http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-linux- ... n-windows/ the latest error is Loading /casper/vmlinuz Boot failed: please change disks...blah blah blah I might add that this is not the first time I have tried that tutorial today, and I made sure every single thing that even had to chance to run had the chance to run with as many privileges as it could ever want or need.

I am at the end of my rope, I just want a single tutorial designed for mint 7 that lets me install from a USB, I mean I can not be the only person on this earth who wanted to put Mint on a Notebook with their notorious lack of CD drives.

Boring yet important info:
I am using Windows 7 RC to do the USB bits, and again I am using run as admin as much as I can.
I have tried to make a portable mint in the hopes I can install it once there Loading /casper/vmlinuz Boot failed: please change disks...)
I have tried Unetboot (the latest version, ran as admin, Loading /casper/vmlinuz Boot failed: please change disks...)
I have tried another method that ran similar to a tutorial that pendrive had to install Mint 5 from a usb mixed with a tutorial from another site (Boot Halted, CRC)
I also tried the tutorial on the forum with similar results to the above
theoriginalaks
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: At my wits end, figuring out how to install mint 7 from usb

Postby lagagnon on Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:51 am

lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby theoriginalaks on Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:59 am

I want to thank you in advance, however a cursory look over shows that many of the examples are for Ubuntu but I am trying one right now

After trying the last option on the page (manual with syslinux) I was rewarded with a brand new error, Error: idle with IF=0, with the next line filled with numbers that resemble hex code
theoriginalaks
Level 1
Level 1

Postby theoriginalaks on Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:45 am

I am going mad, nothing at all is working, but I do have a specific question involving syslinux
When I cd to the win32 folder in it and execute the command syslinux -s -m G: the screen flashes, then nothing else *looks* like it happens it does not give an error it just flashes, nothing shows up visibly on the USB drive even with show hidden folders checked. I don't know if something is but I thought it seemed odd.
theoriginalaks
Level 1
Level 1

Postby theoriginalaks on Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:42 pm

After many many tries I ended up using ubuntu's usb creator (after having to download and reinstall Ubuntu onto my netbook so I could install mint) but it is done and it works fine.
theoriginalaks
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Kruschev on Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:52 am

Hi. Im a newbie also and I JUST LOVE LINUX MINT !!! I installed it on my ACER Aspire One SSD via USB using a software called UNETBOOTIN. It actually works for most LINUX distros. Happy hunting. :D
Kruschev
Level 1
Level 1

Postby digitallysick on Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:23 pm

Download linuxmint iso

use this http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

and install to flash drive, its about a 3 click process, it couldn't be any easier and yes, it does work with gloria
digitallysick
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot