Fresh Install of Mint 7 nuked my Windows XP partition!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Fresh Install of Mint 7 nuked my Windows XP partition!

Postby ReSet on Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:59 am

Hi fellow OpenSource heroes.

I am quite new to Linux, Ubuntu and Mint. Started out last year and tried a lot of Ubuntu flavors and Linux Mint is one of my favorites (especially fluxbox CE). This is really great work.

But yesterday happened the first major setback in my Linux career:

I used to use the alternate installer of K-/X-Ubuntu to set up my double boot setup. So I am really used to fiddle with the partition tables and so on. Did it around 20 times the last 12 months, installing on USB-disks and double boot and single boot setups.

Yesterday I used the Mint Installer, who offered to setup the partition manually and I chose it (since I wanted to format my old Ubuntu partition and the default options did not offer this).

I defined my old Xubuntu partition /dev/sda5 as root ("/") and the old /dev/sda6 as swap.

The Mint installer comfirmed the choice and warned me that it is going to format /dev/sda5/ as root and /dev/sda6/ as swap and that all data on those is getting lost. OK. I confirmed.

After installation finished. Linux Mint recognized the NTFS partition and mounted it (after asking for root passwd).

Then there was a nasty surprise. Windows was gone and was replaced by a lonely empty folder structure:
WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/System.EnterpriseServices/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a

confused?! :shock:

Ok, I did not use Windows at all the last year, but it is a nasty surprise for someone who is dependent on it.

Is this a bug or did I get something wrong?

Reinhard
ReSet
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Fresh Install of Mint 7 nuked my Windows XP partition!

Postby Boo on Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:37 am

strange.
what is really strange is that the ntfs partition is empty.
I dont think the installer formatted it, i dont think it can format in ntfs, it just looks like the data was deleted.
could you read the info on the ntfs partition before the mint install?
could the data have been erased earlier some how?

it could be that the ntfs partition is not being read properly.
can you read it from the live CD?

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Fresh Install of Mint 7 nuked my Windows XP partition!

Postby ReSet on Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:09 am

First, thanks for replying.

Boo wrote:I dont think the installer formatted it, i dont think it can format in ntfs, it just looks like the data was deleted.

I think so too. It contains this strange empty folder structure which does not lool like windows to me. the rest is gone.

Boo wrote:could you read the info on the ntfs partition before the mint install?
could the data have been erased earlier some how?

It is possible they got erased earlier, that is why I did not file a bug. There is one thing I remember right now, which I did and which was quite incautious:

I had a problem with my USB-disk mounted on /media/disk/ refusing to unmount (requesting root). I found a post suggesting deletion of .hal-mtab. I did, restarted X, inserted the disk and ended up with a corrupted file system on /media with two /disk mountpoints. I tried to get rid of the problem with "rm -R /media" but stopped it since I got aware that rm would progress into all the mounted folders so I unmounted them. The USB disk (which I backup regularly :D) was ok. But maybe this nuked the NTFS partition?

Why are then all other /media/something-mounted partitions ok?

Boo wrote:it could be that the ntfs partition is not being read properly.
can you read it from the live CD?

It is definitely gone. Right now I am writing from a Ubuntu install on a USB-disk which I installed 3 days ago and which recognized the NTFS partition as a XP boot. Now everything is gone.

Reinhard
ReSet
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot