old XP does not appear as a boot option after install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

old XP does not appear as a boot option after install

Postby avatarwb on Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:44 pm

I'm very sorry if I'm cross posting, I don't see this exact issue. Also, please forgive me as I'm new to Linux and wouldn't be posting here so soon except I've stepped in it on a friend's PC. I'll be brief but responsive to your questions.

I love mint 5.0 and had installed it on my Vista (argh!) computer in a dual boot configuration, ie, I press F12 on start up and get a Mint screen which now offers a variety of boot options including varieties of Mint and evil old Vista. This has been great, I'm learning my way around mint/linux but can return to the Windows side for certain apps and files that didn't come over.

So my friend's Mom has junked up her XP machine mainly streaming news and the like from her homeland of Venezuela and nothing has been able to clean it up and get things running well. So big mouth here says, "hey, do I have a great solution for you..." You get the idea.

I loaded the live CD I made, installed mint and let it do the automatic partition for xp. Mint runs great. The problem started with an inability to get sound. After playing with everything to get the speakers or the earphone jack to work. Nothing. So I think, "let's see if the drivers are working on the XP side." I do a restart, hit F12, and I'm not kidding, no matter where I tell it to boot from (SATA, CD, new Partition, etc.)it loads the Mint screen and XP is not an option!

I'm stuck and very nervous about command line stuff. I'd be very grateful for some sage advise before my friends Mom has a hit man out looking for me! Thanks.
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Oh, no XP

Postby avatarwb on Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:50 pm

OK, sorry to bother you about the XP part of this thing...

I see now that I re-formatted xp right off the disk when I selected "Use entire disk" on the Mint install. Oooops.

Can you take pity on me and help me solve the audio issue(s)? Preferably using the graphical interface :cry:
Level 1
Level 1

Re: old XP does not appear as a boot option after install

Postby zepita on Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:48 pm

you may have to test different sound servers, go to preferences>sound and select another server.

Go to sound events and then select alsa, oss or any options you may have and click 'test'. If you hear a sound you are good to go. Alsa and pulse works fine, but oss sometimes has problems with youtube sound and general flash animations.

Another thing you may try is another kernel or maybe another distro, preferrable older like mandriva 2006 for example or any other linux flavor.
zepita
Level 1
Level 1

Re: old XP does not appear as a boot option after install

Postby avatarwb on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:05 am

Great, that's just the help I was looking for. I'll get over there and give this a go....thanks!
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot