Persistent install, which one worked better for you?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Persistent install, which one worked better for you?

Postby BadFish on Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:09 pm

I am about to start using a portable persistent install of Linux Mint 7. I see that many people have had questions about the best way to do this in the past. I think I am set, but I was wondering what others thought on this topic.

After searching around, it seems most people have used either UNetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/) or the guides on PendriveLinux.com. (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-linux- ... n-windows/)

Which one worked best for you? Is there another good solution for creating a persistent, portable install on Linux Mint out there that you like?

Thanks!
BadFish
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Persistent install, which one worked better for you?

Postby proxima_centauri on Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:29 pm

I would use usb-creator, available in the repositories, and allows you to set a persistent size allotment.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby BadFish on Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:04 pm

proxima_centauri wrote:I would use usb-creator, available in the repositories, and allows you to set a persistent size allotment.

That looks like a good option as well. Website here: http://www.slym.fr/?p=113 in it's "uSbuntu Live Creator" personal, which seems to be changing soon to Linux Live USB Creator.
http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ (Not fully functional yet.)
BadFish
Level 1
Level 1

Postby BadFish on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:48 am

Here is a detail I did not really think of: The Linux Live USB Creator really just creates a vmware type installation of Linux. You can run it within Windows.

I used the pendrive instructions and created a persistent install on my flash drive which is more of what I wanted. I want to boot into Linux, not just run it inside Windows so that one worked best for me.
BadFish
Level 1
Level 1

Postby denebola on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:32 pm

I figured out, by myself since asking didn't help. So many people online asking for help that nobody has time to answer nor had the answers to my questions. Oh well, I shoulda thought of it anyhow.

I installed Mint 7 to my 8GB flash via unetbootin. Then I installed it to my hard drive...then updated, installed wine, downloaded the .exe from pendrivelinux.com for the persistent Linux Mint 7 install. I unarchived it using wine, and then looked inside the .bat for for the fix thing and also the makeboot.bat. I basically figured out what to do via linux commands, since running makeboot and fix.bat thing under wine really does not work at all. I don't have windows, oh well. Then I copied the 4GB.zip casper-rw thing to my 8GB flash drive and typed "7z e 4GB-casper-rw.zip" and it took forever to unzip but now I have a 3.9GB casper file and when I reboot it gives me around that much free space and it IS persistent but when I updated it last time It worked fine until it tried to copy over vmlinuz and then there was some drive error...and I didn't think much of it and when I rebooted got lots of i/o errors or something...couldn't access this sector and that sector and then it stopped booting. Well, I am able to boot fine if I go into 'don't save" or whatever...and then I installed to my hard drive and now I am going to maybe boot up again and test it but my cute female friend is online so gonna chat with her first a bit. haha But yeah, is there a way for Linux Mint 7 to repair or reset itself on after a botched update? I used that mintupdate or whatever, so dunno...guess it didn't like my fairly new Sandisk Cruzer. It saves data fine and stuff...and it has a receding USB plug...so it's definitely not gonna bend...really nice feature. Hmmm and all the data that I copy back and forth from the USB to the HDD and back always stays intact...never been accidentally washed or anything... Any ideas? Just before I put the previews Linux Mint 7 on it I formated it as Fat 32, basically destroyed the partition, recreated it as FAt32 and formatted it as fat32 and then set the flag to boot... No errors or problems. This is a great distro... Thankfully I figured out that interpreting the bat file in my head basically would help me out. I tried Fedora 11, Ubuntu 9.04 (this would work on that too), umm PCLinuxOS2009, umm can't remember the others. Couldn't figure it out, and now I finally figured it out and you know I am glad I found Linux Mint. Really cool interface and fast and I have high hopes for a persistent install. Now, gotta figure out how to use that qemu.exe I got off pendrivelinux.com to boot that thing while I'm in windows. Thanks guys!
denebola
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ddalley on Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:30 pm

It seems that, no matter how you make a USB install, there always is a compromise, so take your time figuring out how to do yours. If you are new to Linux, then there is some learning and experimenting to do.

For example, do you want security with the stick? I do, but many of these methods make it difficult for the inexperienced (including me) to get it right. So what I am trying to get working is a direct install to the stick with no casper files involved. Most casper installs make it difficult to make a sign-in system for the user and deleting the original "root" account just makes it worse. Even trying to make persistance is a headache, so try installing to the stick normally and see how you like it.

Having said that, getting GRUB to work right doing it this way is also not easy. I've got two Mint 7 sticks going at the moment that are just about "right", but I am still working on them. I want to make this work.

It really should not be this difficult to have our cake and eat it too, so somebody, someday will figure all of this out and document it properly.
ddalley
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Installation & Boot