How do I Triple boot XP, Win7 and Mint 7?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

How do I Triple boot XP, Win7 and Mint 7?

Postby uglyy2 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:02 pm

Hi. I'm new to Linux.

I wish to install Linux Mint 7 on my PC.

Here's the problem. I have 2 Hard disks.

The first hard (hd0 -> ATA, 250mb) is where I have stored all my data. On the second hard disk (hd1 -> SATA, 250mb), I have XP and Windows 7 OS's installed.

Apparently, installing Linux on the second hard disk causes problem from what I've read.

The last time I tried installing Linux Mint, the Grub simply wouldn't load. [It went directly to Win7 bootloader]

Finally I booted directly into linux using a 'Super Grub' boot disk, installed Grub and modified a menu.lst file, and only then could I reach the Windows 7 bootloader. I could use Mint 7 and Win7. Even so, XP wouldn't boot.

I would like to know

a) Which hard disk should I install linux Mint in?

b) How do I ensure that the Grub loads on the first attempt (it's exasperating to have to boot using a boot disc and modify everything all over)? i.e., which directory should i install it (I have attempted both the root directory (/) as well as (/dev/sdax) in the advanced options during installation. Neither worked right)

c) Since I have XP and Win7 in the 2nd Hard disk (hd1) I'd prefer to have Mint in the same Disk (Just a bit paranoid about my data) What steps exactly do I need to follow?

Help!
uglyy2
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How do I Triple boot XP, Win7 and Mint 7?

Postby terrorblader on Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:15 pm

Install Mint on the second disk , it will most likely automatically detect both XP and 7.
terrorblader
Level 3
Level 3

Postby uglyy2 on Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:29 am

I tried that the last time.

It failed to install Grub then. I had a really hard time booting into the Linux installation (Had to download something called a Supergrub disk, burn the ISO, and boot from it)

After reinstalling grub, I still couldn't boot into linux, win7 or xp. I had to modify the menu.lst file - after which I could access Linux MInt and Win7, but not xp.

Is there a more easy way to do this?
uglyy2
Level 1
Level 1

Postby DrHu on Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:08 am

uglyy2 wrote:Is there a more easy way to do this?

Only if you find editing /boot/grub/menu.1st
--then something like easybcd may be more suitable to you..
http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

http://maketecheasier.com/how-to-restor ... 2008/04/11
  • In our case the Mint CD (running from CD, live)
    --Probably the quickest way to reset grub into the mbr (master boot record ) of the first hard drive..
  • Edit the /boot/grub/menu.1st file
--or see Fred (mint forum) descriptions of fixing the grub menu for multiboot (windows +Linux)
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&keywords=boot+stanzas+windows+boot&author_id=5616
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Return to Installation & Boot