problem with installing software

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

problem with installing software

Postby olegorlov on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:02 am

Hello everybody!

I have a problem with installing the latest version of programs.

For example I want to install the latest version of PHP and Blender.

When I used APT ( apt-get install [software_name] /* Blender or PHP etc */ ), it installed only the 2.45 version of Blender and PHP 5.2.4

Exactly I need the latest versions of these products. Because there are new features both in Blender ( a lot of differents between 2.45 and the 2.49 , which is the last ) and PHP ( in PHP 5.3.0 , there is a function `goto`, which will be very useful for my scripts ).

How can I get the latest soft?
On PHP.NET, you can read the message:

We do not distribute UNIX/Linux binaries. Most Linux distributions come with PHP these days, so if you do not want to compile your own, go to your distribution's download site.

So, how can I fix my problem with PHP?

As for Blender, I understood, that I have to work with *.DEB file.

And how can I install it with apt-get? I try, but my attempt failed.
olegorlov
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: problem with installing software

Postby emorrp1 on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:14 am

By your description, I deduce that you're runnning Linux Mint 5 Elyssa. If you want more up-to-date software, you should install a more up-do-date distribution, e.g. Mint 7 Gloria, which includes blender v2.48 and php v5.2.6 PHP 5.3.0 is so bleeding-edge that it's not even packaged yet, so if you really must have the goto feature, you'll need to compile and install from source. My advice would be to write your code without a goto, as it's really bad programming practice.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby olegorlov on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:36 am

emorrp1 wrote:without a goto, as it's really bad programming practice.

Because of what?

emorrp1 wrote:PHP 5.3.0 is so bleeding-edge that it's not even packaged yet

You mean, that for each version of Linux Mint ( 5 Elyssa or 7 Gloria ) the package manager is another? Or from another repository downloading software?

emorrp1 wrote:you'll need to compile and install from source.

You mean, that if I want to use PHP 5.3.0 on 5 Elyssa, I must use GCC and compile the source code of PHP 5.3.0?
olegorlov
Level 1
Level 1

Postby emorrp1 on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:57 am

Each version of mint/ubuntu uses its own set of repositories with software which is packaged and tested to work well with the installed system. Anything you use outside the included repositories is not considered stable, and not supported since it hasn't been verified. However everything in linux is a choice, including the option to ignore any warnings I give you and try out unstable software. As for goto: www.lmgtfy.com/?q=goto+bad the gist is that there's almost always a better way to do what you want without damaging the code's maintainability.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Installation & Boot