Full Hard Drive Install?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bolle

Full Hard Drive Install?

Post by bolle »

I dont know what to do.. I dont have windows on my laptop, and want to put Mint on it..
I have the Live CD going..

But i dont know what to do.. The install that takes up my whole hard drive, or should i make different partitions and stuff?

I tried the whole hard drive, and it took forever to get to 5%..
I think it was 10 hours in totall...

What should i do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Full Hard Drive Install?

Post by Aging Technogeek »

For the best information on partitioning and installation read this thread:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... &sk=t&sd=a

It's long, but it's also packed with useful information. Read the entire thread and if you have questions, post them here or in "Newbie Questions" and someone will help.
bolle

Post by bolle »

It said error, and wouldnt let me do it..
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

This happened to me once - it stalled at around 15%. The way around it for me was to partition the disk first and then do a manual install. You only need 3 partitions: "/", swap, and /home or /data. Tells us the size of your hard disk and you will get a dozen people to tell you how how they would partition it. :wink:
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

bolle wrote:I tried the whole hard drive, and it took forever to get to 5%.. I think it was 10 hours in totall.
Never wait more than 5mins for something to happen for any OS installation

Even windows which seems to take about 45-60mins or so to install (winXP) gives you an install screen dialog within a minute or so, it slows/stalls or seems not to be doing anything while it operates in RAM as part of the installation
Last edited by DrHu on Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I just saw your other post: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=30552
bolle wrote:I accidentaly deleted Windows when i was in the Linux Mint Live CD..
And now Linux takes FOREVER to install.. Atleast 10 hours for 5%....
What should i do?
I have a Windows XP disc, and its formatting a partition now...
But its taking forever.... :(
Should i just try and close the Windows setup and boot the Live CD and try and install again?
Is this the same machine?
Do you want to dual boot with WinXP?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

bolle wrote:It said error, and wouldnt let me do it..
If you read the forum posts, you will find out, that with an error, and you have not said what the error was..

You need to check the partitions of your hard drive, then decide what you want to do do
  • Fix window's installation errors
  • Replace windows with Linux
    --Linux is the only OS on the hard drive. There are sometimes difficulties with vendor supplied hidden windows restore partitions or utilities
  • Multiboot, sometimes called dual-boot with Windows + Linux
    --the Mint side by side install into a partition or free space removed from the windows OS; since windows as supplied by the OEM takes up the whole of the available hard drive space, which makes perfect sense, since they are supplying a single OS

Return to “Installation & Boot”