Multiple Boot All Linux

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Multiple Boot All Linux

Postby davec51 on Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:12 pm

Many posts here deal with dual boot Linux/Windows. I'm interested in booting several Linux distributions on a single hard drive. Here is a summary of my experience so far:
I have Puppy 4.2.1 (full install) on an ext3 partition -- sda1; several frugal Puppy derivatives (betas) on another ext3 partition -- sda2; and an install of Linux Mint 7 on several virtual partitions -- sda5,6 and 7. The Mint Linux installer put Grub into the MBR, but it didn't get the full Puppy menu.lst item right and it completely ignored the frugal installations. My solution was to reinstall Grub through the Puppy installer, onto sda2, copy the entry from the menu.lst in the Mint partition into the Puppy menu.lst. I now have all four os's showing on the Grub interface and all booting perfectly.
I'd like to know if there is a way of installing Linux Mint without messing with an already-installed Grub at all -- just adding the Mint listing.
davec51
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Multiple Boot All Linux

Postby emorrp1 on Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:38 pm

You can choose not to write grub to the MBR in the advanced section of the installer. You'll have to add the item to the correct menu.lst manually though, as mint has no way of knowing which partition is controlling the MBR
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby davec51 on Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:33 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. That would work. It might be nice in a future installer to put the Mint script somewhere for the user to copy and paste.
davec51
Level 1
Level 1

Postby emorrp1 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:03 am

not sure what you mean about the script, the menu.lst can be found in the usual place.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby DataMan on Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:44 am

Sounds like you're almost ready for a dedicated GRUB partition :) .

If interested, I've got a small paper that I published on my website detailing the steps to build same.

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Postby emorrp1 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:58 am

If you decide to do that, I highly recommend DataMan's article, I remember following it (roughly) when setting up my own grub partition: http://www.boomerclan.info/docs/GRUB.pdf
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby davec51 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:24 am

Thanks DataMan. Your instructions seem clear enough, but I'm a bit daunted by the part about making symlinks to the various vmlinuzes. I don't see that your instructions include that part. Also, I'm a permanent noob with the attendant anxieties. It won't be hard, especially for the betas, to change my present menu.lst as needed.
davec51
Level 1
Level 1

Postby DataMan on Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:08 am

See page 3 of the paper in the "Kubuntu Gutsy (V7.10) for an example of how to configure your dedicated GRUB menu.lst for each Lx ops.

With respect to adding new distro's / versions, I have found it easiest to just let the installer do it's thing with respect to GRUB. After you've installed, do a GRUB adjustment back to your dedicated menu.lst with the instructions on page 7.

Hope this helps,

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot