No Linux Mint entry on boot screen after installation[Solved

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sundar_ima

No Linux Mint entry on boot screen after installation[Solved

Post by sundar_ima »

Recently downloaded Linux Mint 7 Kde. Installed in USB drive. It booted well and worked flawlessly. Later installed the same from USB on /dev/sda7 along with ubuntu 9.04 (/dev/sda9) and Win (/dev/sda8). Up on reboot i could see only "Linux Mint 7 Gloria KDE, memtest86+" for Linux Mint entry on the boot screen. Rest of the OS booted well from there. Here is the menu.lst file content...

Code: Select all

## ## End Default Options ##

title		Linux Mint 7 Gloria KDE, memtest86+
root		(hd0,6)
kernel		/boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
# ones.
title		Other operating systems:
root

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sda1
title		Microsoft Windows XP Professional
rootnoverify	(hd0,0)
savedefault
chainloader	+1

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for an existing
# linux installation on /dev/sda9.
title		Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-11-generic (on /dev/sda9)
root		(hd0,8)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic root=UUID=782b725c-adf6-4bbb-9c14-2b19ed888f50 ro quiet splash 
initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic
savedefault
boot

title		Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-11-generic (recovery mode) (on /dev/sda9)
root		(hd0,8)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic root=UUID=782b725c-adf6-4bbb-9c14-2b19ed888f50 ro single 
savedefault
boot

title		Ubuntu 9.04, memtest86+ (on /dev/sda9)
root		(hd0,8)
kernel		/boot/memtest86+.bin  
savedefault
boot
Then i modified the Linux Mint entry like below (took the idea from ubuntu entry)...

title		Linux Mint 7
root		(hd0,6)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic root=UUID=782b725c-adf6-4bbb-9c14-2b19ed888f50 ro quiet splash 
savedefault
boot
While rebooting it gave me following error...

Error : 15

File not found
So I searched for the files vmlinuz and intrd.img and found no vmlinuz file in /boot/. Copied one from USB stick and pasted at /boot/.
Finally rebooted with all the modification. It booted well and I could see the Linux Mint boot screen but landed in Ubuntu 9.04. Previously I installed Kubuntu 9.04 on this same drive and I had no issues with it. Boot loader is installed in /dev/sda.

Again reinstalled Linux Mint on the same drive but I had no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sundar
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: No Linux Mint entry on boot screen after installation...

Post by viking777 »

It is not surprising that you ended up in Ubuntu because the UUID that you used for the root in the Mint entry is the same as the UUID for the Ubuntu partition.

Change the entry root=UUID=blah blah blah to root=/dev/sda7 and see if that works.

UUID's are a comlete pain in the rear. When you have finished booting have a look around at how to boot with a LABEL (root=LABEL=mint7 would do nicely, assuming you have named the volume mint7 first) Then you would be able to read it easily unlike a UUID.
sundar_ima

Re: No Linux Mint entry on boot screen after installation...

Post by sundar_ima »

viking777,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes. you are right. The problem is with the UUID. I changed the entry "root=UUID=782b725c-adf6-4bbb-9c14-2b19ed888f50" with "root=/dev/sda7".Now it is working nicely. There is another method to solve this problem. I took the UUID value for the /dev/sda7 from /etc/fstab then replaced the ubuntu (/dev/sda9) UUID value with mint (/dev/sda7) UUID value. Now the booting problem is over.

But i dont understand why the file,vmlinuz,was not installed :(

Return to “Installation & Boot”