Receive Fatal Error - Can't Install Grub to (hd0,8)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Receive Fatal Error - Can't Install Grub to (hd0,8)

Postby ykaeric on Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:29 am

Solved

Noobie here to Linux Mint and only been working with other Linux distros a few weeks.

I've got a Dell Dimension 4600, P4 - 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 80GB IDE HD (boot drive) and 500GB SATA HD.

I've created multiple partitions. Two primary for the MBR and Windows XP. One extended partition includes 5 partitions - 1, Swap, 2, Ubuntu 7.04, 3. SimplyMEPIS, 4, Xubuntu 7.04, 5, open.

I'm trying to install Linux Mint to the fifth logical partition in the extended partition. Everything runs fine for the first 94% of installation. But then I receive a fatal error that Grub can not be installed to hd0,8.

For the other installs I've been telling Grub to install to the partition the OS is loaded on. I'm using Acronis boot manager to manage all my boot options. So i do not want to install Grub to the MBR partition.

The other installs have had no problem with Grub being installed to the OS partition. I've simply told Grub to install to
Ubuntu - hd0,5
SimplyMEPIS -hd0,6
Xubuntu - hd0,7

Each has worked fine. But Mint keeps giving me the fatal error.

Do I have to many partitions within the extended partition to make this work?
Last edited by ykaeric on Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ykaeric
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Solved

Postby ykaeric on Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:14 am

I kept thinking about it and decided that perhaps I was only allowed to have four logical partitions within an expanded partition.

So I installed Linux Mint to my second hard drive on that drives second partition and installed grub to the same partition.

Location of Linux Mint - hd1,1
Location of Grub to boot Linux Mint - hd1,1

Everything works fine.
ykaeric
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:05 pm

Welcome to Mint ykaeric
It's good for you that it works. However you can have an almost infinite number of logical partitions in an extended partition. You can only have four primary partitions including the extended one.
I think it's the Acronis bootmanager that has some objection
Don't know how it works, but I use Acronis for backup and think they have good products
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Installation & Boot