First Impressions

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

First Impressions

Postby old_salt on Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:23 pm

Attempting to try Mint 7 as a Kubuntu convert.

1. ISO's are corrupt. Attempted 2 downloads of the main iso. Both passed checksums and boot media checks but failed to install. Also made 2 64bit iso attempts, 2 kde attempts.
2. System made it about 80% complete on install for all versions and went to live interface. Install incomplete.
3. Reformatted all partitions from EXT4 to EXT3 and install worked.

If EXT4 is not supported, then remove the option during install. All attempts to use the EXT4 format failed. What a JOKE!!!!!!
old_salt
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: First Impressions

Postby lagagnon on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:41 pm

That's strange because I used ext4 no problems here with Mint 7 and the install went perfectly.
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby RichardH on Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:54 am

Hello old_salt,
Haven't tried ext4. Guess no great need but I'm glad that many are testing it.

Sounds like you might have a CD writer that is dying.
It's a pain that they aren't as long lasting as one might expect.
I finally changed one only a year old that had been giving problems writing.
Similar to yours. Second one in many years, but it does happen.

I have also had problems downloading via yakuake terminal.
Strange, and maybe it was only me. Must have been something in the timing?

At any rate, I've had good luck with the following procedure for downloading isos:
1. cd /to where you want to download it
2. $ wget -rc http://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.iso
[Edit: and check the md5sum]
3. Then burn it DAO/SAO at the slowest speed possible for the media you are using.

saludos,
Richard.
Last edited by RichardH on Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
RichardH
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Harpagonos on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:20 am

I obtained Mint from a popular Linux magazine here in Germany. It shipped among other distributions and just installed smoothly.
I am also using ext4 as file system without any problems.

The only thing that does not work yet is to run Win XP from the boot menu, but I am sure this problem is sitting in front of the computer. :-)
Harpagonos
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lagagnon on Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:12 am

RichardH wrote:Sounds like you might have a CD writer that is dying.

I agree with that assessment Richard.
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby old_salt on Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:34 pm

Sorry for the rant gent's and I appreciate the Feedback. System is as follows. I just built this puppy about 5 mo ago so ........

Asus M3N78_Pro Motherboard
AMD 5800+ 64bit Dual Core 3.0 Ghz
4Gb Corsair RAM
1.5Tb Seagate SATA HDD
EVGA NVidia GeForce 9600GT
HP Lighscribe 22x D/L Burner (details fail me I'm at work)
HP 22" Widescreen LCD (1 Yr old)

Ran Kubuntu 9.04 with Ext4 no issues. Just installing including having Mint reformat my EXT4 partitions just bombs out the system. I've burned the images both from this very system (I'm Dual Booting Vista and Linux) and from my laptop so the burner concern was justified however not the case here. I also ran the MD5 checksum process and initiated the CD check upon initial load on boot. Everything ran clean.

I've seen some posts (not here) about EXT4 and SATA booting issues however I'm not confident in that glanced posting. Like I said, EXT3 is fine no problems, just got a little emotional after spending all evening on a process that normally takes me 30 minutes.... LOL. My initial few minutes of "Playing" after the install gave me a very good impression as to Mint's "Polish". I will be setting up MythTV as I have a Hauppauge PVR-150 card in this system and also some Photo apps for family photos etc. I do like how the HPLIP app works with my new (just bought) HP Photosmart 4850 All-in-one Printer/Scanner (Power Company killed my HP8450). I've seen the postings and horror stories regarding these devices and was cautious about this purchase being usable under Linux. I checked HP's site before buying and found they supported this puppy under the HPLIP project. Works like a champ, now if I could just get my Epson Perfection V200 to work at all under Linux. Any ideas from anyone?

Thanks everyone for all the responses and I look forward to hearing from everyone again soon.

Thanks
Tony
old_salt
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:57 pm

old_salt,

As an old_salt, you probably already know ext4 is not production ready in the 2.6.28 and 2.6.29 kernel. It isn't that it won't work but there are still issues, especially on some equipment. As was already mentioned, there are some booting issues that have surfaced as well.

Neither Ubuntu nor Mint recommend ext4 for production installs. If you run across consistent, repeatable bugs, report them. That is why the ext4 support is there.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby midas on Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:27 pm

First I have been running Mint gnome 32 bits version under ext4 file-system. Today I've installed the 64 bits version and again the ext4 file-format. My standard procedure nowadays is to burn the ISO on a USB-stick by using Unetbootin. I never experienced any loss of data or other problems. Everything runs smooth till so far...

Greetz, Midas
Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon (64 bits)
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Postby RichardH on Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:28 pm

old_salt wrote:Sorry for the rant gent's and I appreciate the Feedback. System is as follows. I just built this puppy about 5 mo ago so ........
Thanks everyone for all the responses and I look forward to hearing from everyone again soon.
Thanks
Tony

Nice machine you put together.
I can imagine your R.A. factor went ballistic when a simple task gave so much grief. :wink:

Still might consider the slowest burning speed and DAO. It really seems to help when there is no other explanation.

Saludos.
RichardH
Level 3
Level 3

Postby karlchen on Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:22 pm

Split mich69's support request from this dead thread into its own dedicated thread epson all in one xp-610 printer on Linux Mint 12 "Lisa". Dead thread locked.
karlchen
Level 11
Level 11

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot