After update screen freezes

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
simonp

After update screen freezes

Post by simonp »

I run Linux Mint 7 on a few pc,s and they work great. On this pc I am writing on now, I used mint update to update itself, there were no items lower than level 3 mostly 1 and 2, so I let it update itself

when I rebooted I first got his message /boot/gfxmenu/linuxmint
as seen in this thread http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=29300
, using the basic way I then boot into the Mint 7 desktop but I cant do anything, my mouse wont work and the network hasnt loaded . All I did was use the automated update and now I'm stuck as to what to do. has anyone else had this problem.

ps hardware wise its a dual core amd setup wit ha 6800 gs nvidia gpu and all works fine

hope someone can help thanks :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: After update screen freezes

Post by Husse »

I'm not sure I understand this correctly
The problem in the link has to do with an error with many partitions/drives as described here
Your problem is that something happened after an update
If you only updated level 1 and 2 this would not cause your problem
What does this mean?
then boot into the Mint 7 desktop but I cant do anything
Do you see the desktop? or a black screen with a mouse cursor?
You might try to boot into Recovery mode and use the Fix X errors option there
simonp

Post by simonp »

the updates were listed as level 1,2 and 3 I just clicked update and let it do its thing.
When I rebooted I would normally be looking at the grub screen where I could select mint or xp, but the error comes up then after about 5 seconds a very basic grub looking screen comes up where I can then select mint or xp. If I select mint, it will boot into the mint destop so I can see the screen as normal, but I cant do anything, the mouse wont work, I can see from the icons in the toolbar that my network connection is a red cross. that is where I am up to so far , hope you understood my noob description :)

hardware
1 300 gb hard drive with xp partion which works fine, and mint partition that mint setup itself when I ran the os disc setup and one partition for Suse 11.0 which I can boot into fine and operate fine
Husse

Post by Husse »

You have a working computer which is fine, but not a working Mint which is not fine
Is this with mint4win? Installed inside Windows or in a separate partition?
Boot into Recovery mode and use the "Fix X problems" option there
If that fixes it, fine (I don't quite understand the connection between the grub failure and the other error)
If that does not help boot normal and at the login screen select "Failsafe Gnome" (if you use main) and try to boot to a working environment - hopefully you can
From July 12 until now there have been four updates that might cause this type of problem
They are
udev
libudev0
libvolume-id1
libnspr4-od
Use Synaptic to force the use of an older version of these
From the Package menu choose "Force version" - there are only two versions - the present and the one previous to it
"Force" these packages and reboot normally (all the way)
If it helps you can experiment until you find the guilty one if you like
If it does not help post back with all info on your status you can find and tell us which edition you use (main or any other)
Also run lspci (l is a lower case L) and post
You said you had a working Suse and lspci works the same there
simonp

Post by simonp »

Is this with mint4win? Installed inside Windows or in a separate partition? (separate )
Boot into Recovery mode and use the "Fix X problems" option there (done that)
If that fixes it, fine (I don't quite understand the connection between the grub failure and the other error)
ok a wee update I can get the mouse working by unplugging it and plugging it back again
same with keyboard
ill try the lspci command and report back :)
thanks for the help so far

Return to “Installation & Boot”