Plzz help me guys totally screwed!!!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Plzz help me guys totally screwed!!!

Postby gyanish30 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:53 am

Nicki wrote:It seems so strange. In one moment you want to remove Linux and in the next time you want to have it. In one moment you can't access Vista and next time you can. First you want to recover Vista and next time you won't. Are you sure you know what you want. We seriously want to help you but you must know what you want and not want.

sorry i got u confused. See i installed mint along with vista on my laptop making two other partitions for linux on ext3 and other swap. Both mint and vista run fine for me no problem yet.i tried to connect to internet using my cellphone when logged in to mint but i every time i try connecting my phone restatrted.so i gave up the idea of having linux. now i thought possible ways to remove it. i logged in to vista and formated linux drive thinkin it will be gone with formatting but when i rebooted i hanged on booting screen as dave said the MBR was still pointing to Grub but i formatted it.So i put live cd again and installed mint again. and everything running great . Now what i was asking to how to remove Grub from Mbr or how i restore my windows boot settings.
gyanish30
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Nicki on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:04 am

If you still want to remove Grub, this means that you have to remove Mint.
And as I wrote to you, follow thoose steps:
Log in to Vista and (I didn't remember where it is located, but) look for the inbuilt program for making a restore DVD. It could be up to 2 or 3 DVD.s. It will not take affect of installed Linux.
When you have done that, reboot from your DVD and select to "restore the computer as it was from the factory".
After this operation you have no trace after Linux or Mint in your computer.
Nicki
Level 3
Level 3

Postby gyanish30 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:47 pm

AK Dave wrote:When you installed linux you installed grub. When you installed grub, it linked to the MBR of your hard drive. You reformatted your linux partitions. You deleted grub. But your MBR is still pointing to grub. You need to download, burn, and use supergrub (see viking77's instructions) to remove grub. Very simple.

As for vista and viruses, well, thats your own fault. But you should know that if you took your place to some computer repair shop to fix the virus problem they wouldn't have reinstalled vista except as a last resort. Many times they would have chained your drive as a slave to a linux system and cleaned the virus problem from linux. Why? Because linux doesn't have 1/10000th the virus problem that windows has.

You really should have come here first. We could have told you how to boot linux and use it to clean the virus problem from vista, and then you could safely install Avast! on windows (download it with linux, put it on the windows drive, boot w/o internet active, install Avast!, and then connect to the internet safely).

But you didn't answer my first question. :)

dave can u plz explain the process to remove virus by using linux!!!
gyanish30
Level 1
Level 1

Previous

Return to Installation & Boot