Transplanting HDD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Transplanting HDD

Postby audrich on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:14 am

I wish to install Linux Mint on a netbook with no optical drives, floppy drives, and non-bootable USB ports (they work when in OS, just does not boot, weird I know). Anyways, after failing at PXE install, and having no external optical or floppy drives to use, I decided to remove the client's HDD, put it in an enclosure, install Mint on it while attached to a host machine, and then put it back into the client netbook. It worked, except there's bugs here and there because it installed for a different chipset (obviously). What I'd like to know is...is there a way to a) have Mint repair itself in terms of chipset and drivers without reinstall, and if not b) why can't I just put the Mint LiveCD image right on a first partition of the HDD, stick it in the netbook, and have it boot (tried this and did not boot)?
audrich
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Transplanting HDD

Postby Aging Technogeek on Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:54 pm

audrich,

You can try this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromLinux

This is a method of installing Ubuntu without a CDRom drive or a bootable USB device. It might be exactly what you need. Just substitute Mint for Ubuntu and use the first method outlined.

EDIT

I just reread the article and found that it requires a working Linux installation to start with. Probably won't help you. Sorry to waste your time.

Of course, if the OS installed on the transplanted HDD is working well enough, this might still work.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Transplanting HDD

Postby DrHu on Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:19 pm

audrich wrote:I wish to install Linux Mint on a netbook with no optical drives, floppy drives, and non-bootable USB ports (they work when in OS, just does not boot, weird I know)

I would say that, based on that list, nothing works to boot, USB, CDROM
--I am even surprised that the hard drive boots, how by the way, since you have some errors, and how did the MBR get fixed; also netbooks usually don't have optical drives (CD) to save weight, and to support their function as web browsing, email portable small computers..

More context needed:hardware, manufacturer name, model # and
In a terminal, check
    inxi -F
    --hardware list of your installed Mint
I have no idea how you will get the hardware list from the machine you installed the hard drive into, that (obviously, as you say) has a different chipset CPU etc.
--except by providing the manufacturer name, model # and any differences from the link you would provide to your own machine's configuration..
audrich wrote:What I'd like to know is...is there a way to a) have Mint repair itself in terms of chipset and drivers without reinstall, and if not b) why can't I just put the Mint LiveCD image right on a first partition of the HDD, stick it in the netbook, and have it boot (tried this and did not boot)?

http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page
http://www.sofotex.com/SelfImage-download_L35402.html

..have Mint repair itself...
You could try the boot of Mint in that netbook, using the recovery menu selection
..why can't I just put the Mint LiveCD image..
What image, you don't mean thew *.iso file do you ?

You should actually be able to do that, but you would also need the MBR reflect the correct bootup method, that is you should install grub from that hard drive into the MBR of the boot
--other than that and using a good partition image I don't see any reason, that it wouldn't work. again apart from the hardware changes caused by using a different computer to install mint onto the removed netbook hard drive..

If I had been in that situation, I would have connected to the host computer (netbook) from another machine and executed the desktop install procedures (from the remote connection--> install to host hard drive..)
--or on a terminal and run installer only, it wouldn't matter which was used..
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Return to Installation & Boot