HP multi function and Gloria hplip-3.9.2

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

HP multi function and Gloria hplip-3.9.2

Post by solar1951 »

Have just upgraded from Elyssa to Gloria - a little late I know - and in one aspect I should not have bothered.
I have a HP Multifunction Photosmart C5280 printer and one of its abilities is to print CD's. The hplip shipped with gloria will not let you print CD's as it does not recognise the cd tray. I have done lots of searching and even tried to downgrade to hplip 2.8.7 shipped with Elyssa but ended up with a dependancy nightmare and broke the system. Even trying to upgrade to the latest hplip-3.9.8 from the hplip website did not solve the problem. Apparently the problem is solved in the Karmic repos so i will have to wait for karmic to be released before I can print CD's again.

Just thought I would let you all know that if you have one of these printers do not upgrade to Gloria, wait for Mint 8.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Re: HP multi function and Gloria hplip-3.9.2

Post by solar1951 »

I have found the bug report about the problem here https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/380858

There is a patch available here http://launchpadlibrarian.net/28140718/ ... -type.diff

Being a "no brain user" I do not know what file to patch and how to carry out the patch.

Could one of you kind experts out there help me out please :roll:
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

Update - I have got the printer to work correctly by forcing the download of hpijs to 2.8.7 - way to go !
HOWEVER:
Now whenever I try and use synaptic to download and install other progs it highlights hpijs-2.8.7 as having broken dependancies and tries to upgrade to latest.
I have tried pinning the level of hpijs by editing /etc/apt/preferences but to no avail.

This now means that I cannot install anything through synaptic without upgrading hpijs and thereby breaking my printing again.

HELP :cry:
mike2039

Post by mike2039 »

You probably need to down the tarball for hplip 3.9.8 and install that way.

If you don't want to do that, post your system spcs and I'll email you a deb.
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

mike2039 wrote:You probably need to down the tarball for hplip 3.9.8 and install that way.

If you don't want to do that, post your system spcs and I'll email you a deb.
Thanks for the reply.
I have tried the 3.9.8 from the Hplip website which still does not work :x
Do you have the tarball from the Karmic repos, if so that may work.
I have a 32bit i386 machine - Asus Vintage VH1 with Celeron proc - old but works for me !

Return to “Installation & Boot”