SOLVED: Live Disk Boot Issue with Desktop PC

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Postby chilly on Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:37 pm

Hello from a newbie

I downloaded Mint 7 Gloria, did MD5 check, burned slow and cannot run it on my desktop PC.

Disk works fine in my Acer laptop.

Regardless of what choice I make in the Welcome to Linux Mint Gloria 7 screen (start linux mint, start LM compatability mode, start installer, check integrity of CD, or memory test) I end up with the following error message:

ata.7:SRSTFailed (errno=-16)

Starting in compatability mode gets me "further" into the process but all roads lead to the above message.

The computer is homebuilt around a Gigabyte AMD board, Athlon 64X2 processor, 4 megs DDR2 ram, 3 SATA drives, 2 Samsung optical drives, Nvidia GeForce 7900 S graphics card. It is 2 1/2 years old and very stable.

Even though I am a relative Linux newbie I have installed and run Ubuntu Hardy Heron and the latest PCLinuxOS version on this computer without any problem.....But I REALLY want to try Mint. It looks awesome on my laptop and runs with full function right off the bat.

Please let me know what further information I can furnish to help with a diagnosis.

I am currently downloading Mint 6 on my laptop and am going to try running that on my desktop.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Michael
Last edited by chilly on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
chilly
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Live Disk Boot Issue with Desktop PC

Postby lagagnon on Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:56 pm

chilly wrote:ata.7:SRSTFailed (errno=-16)

That is a hardware fault error. I doubt it has anything to do with the Mint CD. Have you tried the other optical drive? ave you double checked the jumpers on the two optcial drives? Read this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/220706
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby chilly on Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:17 pm

Yes, I tried the second optical drive.

I assumed that it was not the disk since it ran fine on my laptop.

Since I wrote the first post I have finished downloading LM 6 and burned it as well.

It gets farther into the install process before hanging up.

Not sure what the issue is but you are correct that there is a hardware conflict.

Thanks

Michael
chilly
Level 1
Level 1

Postby DrHu on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:50 pm

chilly wrote:Since I wrote the first post I have finished downloading LM 6 and burned it as well.

You have jumped back to mint 6 from 7
--why not keep after mint 7 since it has a newer kernel and newer software
CS (cable select) or jumpers on the optical drives (ms/sl master-slave); jumpers are more sure to work..

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=798824
Can you turn of all IDE drives in the bios of the machine, and only attempt to use the SATA drives to install to ?

About the CD drives (ide ?)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=798824
post 5, 6 to end
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby chilly on Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:52 am

I am sticking with 7 and have made some headway.

Part of my problem is impatience. I found that if I walked away for a while the installation process would complete. Apparently there are numerous other file that need to be downloaded during installation. For some reason it was just taking forever to connect and get what was needed. It took about 25 minutes to run through the processes and get to an actual GUI screen.

Now the issue is that I cant simply boot up and get to the splash screen and log in screen. The entire boot up process takes several minutes (4-5) and every process that runs seems to show up in a DOS like black screen, much the same as when it was installing.

This is not the "verbose" feature seen overlaying the main screen, but a whole different blac window like a full page terminal window with white characters.

Even this screen has moments when it is waiting for a connection.

Baffled

Michael
chilly
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lagagnon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:04 am

I still think you have a hardware fault. Drives probably. If I were you I would double check the cables, master/slave jumpers of all, find out the exact make/model of hard drives and then run diagnostic tests on your drives from the Ultimate Boot CD http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby chilly on Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:34 pm

lagagnon wrote:I still think you have a hardware fault. Drives probably. If I were you I would double check the cables, master/slave jumpers of all, find out the exact make/model of hard drives and then run diagnostic tests on your drives from the Ultimate Boot CD http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

That will be my next step after I get past my Grub Loader Error 17 hurdle that I ran into last night after finally getting what I thought was a clean dual boot install.

AUGHHHHHH!

Michael
chilly
Level 1
Level 1

Postby chilly on Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:57 am

Going with the suggestion that I had a hardware problem I disconnected my extra optical drive and my 2 extra SATA hard drives, defragged and backed up my C: drive and reinstalled Mint. Everything went fine and I am fully functional except for no sound.

I added my extra drives back in and no issues.

I am kind of surprised because all the installation allocated on a 500 gig drive was 2.9 gigs for the OS and 1.75 mb for the swap file. I downloaded GParted and downsized my XP partition and resized my Mint OS partition to 200 gigs and resized my swap partition to 9 gigs.

Everything seems like it is good to go.

I will post my sound issue after doing some searches.

Thanks for the help.

Michael
chilly
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot