VISTA STOPPED BOOTING!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

VISTA STOPPED BOOTING!

Postby jno491 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:36 pm

Hi Im a total noob to linux and decided to try out linux mint 7 gloria. I planned to dual boot it with Vista Home edition. I burned the live CD and installed linux mint. I wanted to make sure everything was going to work so in the GRUB screen I selected lm and it ran fine. I then wanted to make sure the vista worked too. It was in the GRUB screen but wouldnt run properly. I got like a windows error message with the option to "start windows normally" or start it using some repair system. I ran it normally but got some weird, blue error screen. I restarted but this time started the repaired the system. then I restarted the computer. GRUB came up again and I chose vista. I got the same error message but chose to start windows normally. IT loaded vista correctly with all my files but I'm now getting a message saying "You must restart your computer to apply these changes." I wanted to know if anyone knew what was gonna happen when I restart my computer? Would i lose linux mint is vista was restored? IF anyone can make sense of anything I jus wrote I would really appreciate the help!!! Thanks
jno491
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: VISTA STOPPED BOOTING!

Postby FedoraRefugee on Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:41 pm

Hello,

That is ALL a Vista problem! I dual boot Vista also and those screens you are seeing belong to Vista and not Mint. You say you did have Vista up after the Mint install but now it wants to reboot to save changes. It may be possible you were in the middle of a Vista update when you decided to install Mint. I would go ahead and reboot, what's the worst that could happen? :D
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Fred on Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:10 am

jno491,

I am assuming you had to shrink your Windows install to install Mint. If this is the case I hope you defragmented your Windows install before you started.

It is common for Windows to have to be booted a couple times for it to adjust to the idea of not having as much space as it had. That is especially true if you took a significant amount of the free space available to Windows for Linux.

Reboot it a couple of times and hope for the best. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Anaxis on Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:05 am

Do you know where you installed Mint? Which partition, if any?
"People should better think of their computing devices as facilities lended by the DHS." -Berke Durak, Linux wipe (secure file deletion) development.
Anaxis
Level 2
Level 2

Postby FedoraRefugee on Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:46 am

Fred wrote:jno491,

I am assuming you had to shrink your Windows install to install Mint. If this is the case I hope you defragmented your Windows install before you started.

It is common for Windows to have to be booted a couple times for it to adjust to the idea of not having as much space as it had. That is especially true if you took a significant amount of the free space available to Windows for Linux.

Reboot it a couple of times and hope for the best. :-)

Fred

Ah! That explains it.
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Postby jno491 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:26 pm

Thanks Everyone for the help! I think Im gonna go ahead and try rebooting to see what happens. It just scared me that I had to run some windows repair thing from a windows error screen. Does anyone know what that was about though?
jno491
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jno491 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:28 pm

I didnt manually partition it. I used the instal side by side option in the Linux Mint installer
jno491
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Anaxis on Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:35 pm

Does anyone know what that was about though?

Well, it's Windows Vista. At this point, I think we can all safely say that even VISTA has no idea what it was about.

My guess is, though, it was probably something to do with the Vista Boot Manager, which does NOT like being contested for its position, or it was something to do with the partition shrinking, and Vista questioning why. Probably nothing you didn't know already.
"People should better think of their computing devices as facilities lended by the DHS." -Berke Durak, Linux wipe (secure file deletion) development.
Anaxis
Level 2
Level 2

Postby jno491 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:37 pm

Thanks Everyone for the help! The reboot worked and now I'm running vista and lista mint perfectly.
jno491
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot