Slow boot compating to Windows XP

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Slow boot compating to Windows XP

Postby sourwire on Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:14 am

Why is Linux taking so long to boot up, especially comparing to Windows?
My Windows is pretty tweaked so it takes 18 seconds to get to the log in window. On Linux Mint (Bianca), it takes 1 minute to get to the GDM! :shock:
(My processor is 2 GHz)
I turned off some services that I don't use, but the boot is still very slow. Why? How can I speed it up?
sourwire

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:13 am

18 seconds for windows??
Hard to believe - congrats
I use autologin (there's no one here to login but me and my wife) and it takes a bit less than a minute and I think thats OK
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby lavs23 on Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:06 am

Does is seem like it stalls out at one point? If so you're probably searching for a network connection that isn't there. I've created a file with a lot of linux tips I've found while reinstalling mine for my mother-in-law who is just starting up using linux. Here's a few boot-time speed ups that I've used with the amount of time saved in paretheses. Originally I was booting up in 1 min 18 sec now I'm booting in 25 seconds. Try this:

Speeding Up Boot-time

1) Install bootchart [sudo apt-get install bootchart]

2) Restart computer then goto /var/log and view the boot chart. NOTE: Everytime the comp is rebooted an image in placed in /var/log. Once the boot time is tweaked it's safe to remove bootchart [sudo apt-get remove bootchart]

If on your chart you have a large area ~ 60 sec where no activity is taking place you are probably not using a wired internet connection. (-50 sec)

open up your /etc/network/interfaces file:

sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces

Comment out (put # at beginning) all lines except:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

save, if for some reason the network doesn't work when you restart then uncomment these lines.

If you have a dual-core processor: (-1 sec)

sudo gedit /etc/init.d/rc

CONCURRENCY=none -> CONCURRENCY=shell

(This will enable both cores to work during boot up.)

Profile the boot (-2 sec)

restart computer, when GRUB menu appears goto the recovery mode option and press 'e' to edit.

goto line that says /vmlinuz..... and press 'e' to edit

add profile to the end of the line, make sure there is a space before profile and no space after. Press enter, then press b to boot. This will boot up, when everything is done restart into the normal boot entry.

They say that linux will boot slower then Windows XP because XP only loads partially before dumping you to a non-functioning desktop where linux will load everything needed and then show you the desktop. Hope this helps.
lavs23
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Boo on Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:30 am

Ahhh but that is 18sec to get a login prompt which comes up quite quickly while the rest of the boot processes/tasks are still going on.

nice trick hay?
:lol:

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Installation & Boot