Dual boot Vista/Mint problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Dual boot Vista/Mint problem

Postby pcdebb on Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:36 am

Hello all :)

I had an existing installation of Vista 64bit on my main drive. I installed a second drive and installed Mint on this drive. A couple of reboots and things were fine. I was letting GRUB handle things, and had my OS choices. I played around in Mint for a while, and decided to reboot to Vista, but this time I was getting the Error 2. After two hours of frustration I was able to (finally) get my Vista CD to load and /fixmbr. I'm now in Vista, no OS choices but the Mint installation is still on the second drive. Is there an easy way to fix this to be able to chose between the OS's? I dont care if it's the Vista loader or Grub, as long as I can make a choice. All the answers I'm finding is to boot into Mint and edit the menu.lst file, which I cant seem to get to.

TIA
pcdebb
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dual boot Vista/Mint problem

Postby SamsonReal5 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:03 am

had an existing installation of Vista 64bit on my main drive. I installed a second drive and installed Mint on this drive. A couple of reboots and things were fine. I was letting GRUB handle things, and had my OS choices. I played around in Mint for a while, and decided to reboot to Vista, but this time I was getting the Error 2. After two hours of frustration I was able to (finally) get my Vista CD to load and /fix.

Samson
SamsonReal5
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Pierre on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:38 am

All the answers I'm finding is to boot into Mint and edit the menu.lst file,

it's in the Mint partition - you will need to re-install Grub to get to it.

if you had nothing special in the hidden Mint partition, then it is probably just as easy,
to re-install the Mint O/S again - from the live cd & wipe the existing partition .....
:)
Pierre
Level 7
Level 7

Postby altair4 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:05 am

If you're going to reinstall you might consider going in a completely different direction. Don't use a linux grub to boot into Vista - use Vista to boot into a linux grub. The Vista bootloader actually has the capability to boot into linux, it just needs some help. That's where EasyBCD comes in. It can be found here: http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
There's a HowTo based on Ububntu ( same install process as Mint ) here: http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Ubuntu

The trick is how you install Mint. In step 7 of the current version there is an "Advanced" tab that asks where you want to install grub. The default is the MBR. Instead choose the partition where Mint is installed. For example, let's say your partitions are set up as follows:

sda1 - Vista
sda2 - Mint
sda3 - Data
sda4 - swap

When Mint asks you where you want to install grub, answer with sda2. Now boot into Vista, bring up EasyBCD, and point a new entry called "Mint" to sda2. Vista will always be in charge of what boots.

I use a different bootloader because I don't have Vista and the process is the same. I've had multiple Linux OS's on this box all controlled by that bootloader. I have used EasyBCD in setting up other peoples machines and it works very well ( at least I haven't received any complaints ).

Anyway , just something to consider.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Postby atlef on Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:28 pm

atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Installation & Boot